aluminum bar in transom

JKenyon1506

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have a 2002 Voyager 248. I have it in for repower and we are removing bang plate and glassed over transom. I am told there is an aluminum bar within the transom. I have never heard of this. Can anyone provide information as to the need for the bar? I also heard this bar can expand and contract and cause cracking on top of transom.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, there is an aluminum support there. It is intended to add addition strength and rigidity to the transom and provide a load path into the stringers.
I believe the aluminum is mostly encapsulated in the transom, but you can see the bracing going forward to the stringers.
I call BS on the expansion/contraction cracking issue. The thermal expansion coefficients of aluminum and glass reinforced polyester are almost identical.

Reactions: JKenyon1506

JKenyon1506

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Yes, there is an aluminum support there. It is intended to add addition strength and rigidity to the transom and provide a load path into the stringers.
I believe the aluminum is mostly encapsulated in the transom, but you can see the bracing going forward to the stringers.
I call BS on the expansion/contraction cracking issue. The thermal expansion coefficients of aluminum and glass reinforced polyester are almost identical.
It did not make sense to me either. Thanks for your input.

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
When did they start using the aluminum, all models?

Fishtales

Reaction score
it is usually inside the transom and you can see it once you open up the access port. GW touts it in their brochure "super strong transom".