Aluminum Bracket Paint

islandermagic

Reaction score
What kind of paint can you use to touch up the single motor aluminum bracket on a 1989 Seafarer 22. It is peeling in the bottom left corner. It seems like pretty thick paint.

bc282

Reaction score
the paint is very likely powder coat. great tuff stuff but difficult to repair.

not sure myself how to fix, if some one doesn't chime in here, call a fab shop that powder coats for advice.

found this link on google: http://www.windridge.co.uk/content.php/533

an easy temp fix could also be nail polish.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished prepping the bracket for another season- Pettit #3108 Off-White w/ Trilux 33 on the lower half. Used Primacon primer.
bracket08.bmp.jpg

Send me a PM if you have any questions.[/img]

gw204

Reaction score
Make sure you properly clean the aluminum before you paint it. I would go at it with a fairly aggressive flap wheel on an angle grinder. Then you need to etch the surface to remove impurities, prime with an appropriate primer and topcoat.

jjb232G

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry i'm getting to this thread so late...I repaired my 232G bracket "coating" with white spray-on truck bed bed liner. Be sure to clean the area well, cut back the coating to fully adhered spots and spray on 4 or 5 coats. My has lasted 2+ years in salt water all season. The stuff is pretty durable. JOHN

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you use bottom paint where it is peeling, just need to go with primer coat as was stated by Plym, then botom paint over it.

Save the white paint for "topside", unless you care to paint it white anyway.

The original powdercoat is an electrostatic process with a powder material applied with a gun, then gets baked on to form it.

Eventually, if you own the boat long enough, all the powdercoat will flake off, as with any other coating system. I have about 40% of the original remaining.