Aluminum plate corroding? Need help!

baldraver

Reaction score
I am mid-purchase on this 2004 Marlin. New engines, but when they replaced, they left this aluminum plate. It looks like electrolysis, does it not? The transom tested with experienced surveyor as dry, percussion and meter.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Just epoxy over it? I have seem many people put another plate over it, etc. Thoughts are super appreciated!!!

Eric

Attachments

• 30 Grady White  (22).JPG
    30 Grady White (22).JPG
    429 KB · Views: 64
  • 30 Grady White  (23).JPG
    30 Grady White (23).JPG
    426 KB · Views: 62

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Definitely should be replaced - I believe the replacement cap will be made of vinyl.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having redone mine a few yers ago myself, if found it to be not a difficult process, once you raise the outboard off the transom. Did that with a chain hoist . I went with stainless angle to replace the aluminium. It is what is underneath the cap that can be concerning. Check for delimitation and moisture before recovering it. Best sooner than later....Good luck!

Reactions: wspitler

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here's what my dealer installed to replace the aluminum cap. I very much agree with above post by trapper - check underneath for any issues and thoroughly seal the new cap at install.

ResizerImage1088X816.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephnic

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine is like that - I have been cauking and sealing it for a few years now. Yesterday I went to my dealer and asked for a quote to lift twin F250 and recap it with vinyl. - 3K. Kicking myself as I repowered in 2018 and never had it done.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I replaced mine last year myself during a re-power. Local Yamaha dealer had the engines off for a replacement and gave me a few days to remove the old bang cap and replace with the vinyl strip. Grady-White direct shipped a 7 foot piece to me for very reasonable cost. Transom was solid underneath used 4200 as a sealant.

Attachments

• BA71588C-2EB4-46FF-AC44-6886EDAE27E5.jpeg
    BA71588C-2EB4-46FF-AC44-6886EDAE27E5.jpeg
    913.2 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Stephnic and Legend

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Curious why replace with aluminum strip or vinyl strip. The aluminum as I understand it is of no value other than to cover up the lack of gelcoat which is what allows the water in over time. I have 1999 Bimini 306. Just had engines pulled because blew piston in my ox66, and need to do a full rebuild on the transom because of that area being like a sponge. Estimate 10K unless they find the damage is too significant then the boat is just trash. Will start a new thread of the journey...sucks...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ensure the transom is checked for water intrusion. There is a seal under it wher the liner meets the hull. You may want to buy Ute the bullet and have the engines removed and that area glassed over. It will likely leak at sojj my e point.

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Ensure the transom is checked for water intrusion. There is a seal under it wher the liner meets the hull. You may want to buy Ute the bullet and have the engines removed and that area glassed over. It will likely leak at sojj my e point.
I 2nd that. I should have done that when I first saw my signs.