aluminum trim

Capt Harv

Reaction score
Website
www.vetcraftsportfishing.com
Have a 1988 Sailfish that I am constantly finding ways to improve its appearance. Now trying to figure out what to replace the aluminum trim strip pieces with, that are located above the cockpit seats, just below the cockpit lights.

Attachments

• grady trim.JPG
    grady trim.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 2,865

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Maybe remove it and try to have it refinished at a local Plating Shop who can do Aluminum Anodizing?

By the way, how many times have you had to rewire that cockpit light?
I've done it twice so far over the years on my 88 Trophy Pro :)

Good Luck this season and thanks for all the great posts about Flukeasaurus Fishing on The Bass Barn!

Capt Harv

Reaction score
Website
www.vetcraftsportfishing.com
Len.....I replaced the cockpit lights one time. I seem to remember a post on here where a guy found a vinyl trim source that worked for the trim. I think they are too pitted to recondition. Glad you enjoy my flukasaurus posts :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
maybe something like this?
http://tacomarine.com/category/cat_alum ... d-Moulding

another option would be some hard plastic think trim 1" in length. There is also a lot of hard rubber molding on ebay.

I'd drill out the pop rivet, remove the piece. Then seal the holes and use a good adhesive and install the new trim right over the area.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I replaced mine last season with the Grady Vinyl Trim like they are using on the newer boats. It went on great and looks great! I found it on Ebay.

Attachments

• Grady Vinyl Trim.jpg
    Grady Vinyl Trim.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 2,782

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It is self adhesive. Just clean area with Acetone to remove any wax and have a hear gun handy if needed for any sharper bends.
Also it has a small 90 degree edge on the bottom. If your fiberglass is touching the deck, you can use a oscillating flush cut blade to trim the bottom so the vinyl edging will be flush with the surface.
I no longer see any for sale on ebay, but you can get from grady dealer. Here is the description: GRADY WHITE OEM 1 3/8" BEIGE FLEXIBLE TRIM - 10'.

ric2352

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
It is self adhesive. Just clean area with Acetone to remove any wax and have a hear gun handy if needed for any sharper bends.
Also it has a small 90 degree edge on the bottom. If your fiberglass is touching the deck, you can use a oscillating flush cut blade to trim the bottom so the vinyl edging will be flush with the surface.
I no longer see any for sale on ebay, but you can get from grady dealer. Here is the description: GRADY WHITE OEM 1 3/8" BEIGE FLEXIBLE TRIM - 10'.
Thanks for that tip......used it on my 208 with that crappy corroded aluminum trim.....much cleaner....came out great!

gw204

Reaction score
I never understood why they used that. Why not trim it in teak like everything else?