Aluminum vs. stainless steel prop

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Small problem regarding my propeller: the prop presently on the motor (250hp Yamaha 2 stroke) is unfit to be reconditioned. I bought the boat in May, we have been out once for maybe a half hour, the trim/tilt motor went upon retrieving the boat back onto the trailer. I've been awaiting parts and repair for over 2 months. After hearing the report on the state of the propeller this is my question: I can use the present prop (17P Yamaha stainless steel) for the rest of this season; I can get an aluminum prop for $175; I can get a Mirage stainless equivalent prop for $750; or just wait until the winter and hunt around for a Yamaha 17P stainless replacement? TIA

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a pair of Yamaha SS salt water series II used props from my F250s that I had to change out when repowering my 330. I really want to sell them as a pair. They are 17P. I will take $1K for the pair in excellent condition, but you might have trouble selling the left hand one. I wouldn’t recommend going with an aluminum prop for an F250. Blades are likely too flexible.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you use your boat for fishing and family outings, the aluminum prop will work fine. If you are a hot rod that likes to launch over the swells and splash back in the pond while your engine is up against the rev limiter, you should probably have the stainless. You will find the shifting nicer with the aluminum due to the reduced enertia of the prop at idle.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s a long time to wait for a tilt/trim repair. You can pull the unit off, send it to Florida, and get it returned fully rebuilt in about a week or 10 days.
Keep your eyes open for a good used ss prop

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
That’s a long time to wait for a tilt/trim repair. You can pull the unit off, send it to Florida, and get it returned fully rebuilt in about a week or 10 days.
Keep your eyes open for a good used ss prop
Long story short, that is exactly what has happened after the dealer I bought it from said they would take care of it! It is due back to my mechanic tomorrow, thanks for taking the time for your reply.

Reactions: wspitler