Always amazes me...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
People talk like I pay too much for fiberglass repairs or whatever.. but, just like now...

I need to find a way to get the boat off the trailer for a day or so, to really get under the trailer...maybe add a 1-2" lift kit on it to get the fenders a little higher off the tires, and to replace the wood side-panels.. maybe replace the surge brakes...so, what do I do? I start calling around....

Now, sure.. I can take the boat...drop it in the water somewhere (not sure where...the biggest ramp I know of is like 1.5 hours away and pretty darn steep.. lol.. I do not want to drag my truck in the water heh)...so, I start calling marinas. They have forklifts.. slips.. etc, nope.. no can do...unless I rent from them for 12 months...

Finding anyone to lift the boat is a minimum of $150, possibly twice that to lift it back onto the boat. Probably 4 times that to move it from where they lifted it, store it for a weekend, then move it back...

That is IF I can even locate someone that is willing to do it.

Just crazy living in or near Austin, TX... damn greedy freaks... lol

Too bad my tractor only lifts 1500 lbs lol

hrm... rent a forklift...have it delivered to the house.. hrm... lol

R

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Russ, here is a novel untried way to do it for that size of boat . Go to the dump and get a couple of old mattresses (queen size) lay them down behind the boat and trailer. Tie the stern of the boat to a tree and and pull the trailer from under the boat onto he mattresses. Have some one standing by with braces to keep the baby from rolling to far over. To return boat untie boat from the tree trailer, block trailer and soap up the bunks (Slippery) trailer is off truck. run the bow line over the trailer winch roller and pull it with your tractor onto the trailer. About half way on the trailer should bring the tilted trailer down on all wheels.and you can snug it up to the winch post and chain it up. OkOK it may be just too big a yacht to do that, but I did that once on a smaller boat, quite a bit smaller, so all this is just a possibility for you to think of another way. I like the idea of $150 lift, compared to the other upgrades on the yacht it might amount to about a quarter tank of gas . Cheers trapper p.s. hard to find nice clean mattresses!!

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you have solid ground, you can slide the trailer out from underneath the boat, putting it on blocks as you go. You can use a good floor jack to do this. It's definitely not too big to do this in your driveway/yard. Plywood helps with stability on anything other than a hard surface. Would take less than an hour to do it. If you've never done it before, it will probably take a bit longer. The question becomes whether or not you feel comfortable doing it.

FYI... if the trailer is the proper size, you shouldn't need to add any more space between the tires and the inside of the wheel fenders. If there's not enough space, either something is wrong or the trailer is too small (weight capacity).

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have seen a buddy who did not own a trailer borrow a trailer to haul his boat and then he unloads the boat onto boat stands. He has done it for years and has not had an issue. I would never have the guts to try it with my boat. They back the trailer into his yard, push the boat off a few and then put the stands under the stern and then turn the turnbuckle on the stands to raise the boat up a few feet. They then begin to pull the trailer forward and add a few more stands until the boat is lifted off the trailer. Always hated to watch the process but it did work. The boat was a 1968 29 foot Sea Ray

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have seen a buddy who did not own a trailer borrow a trailer to haul his boat and then he unloads the boat onto boat stands. He has done it for years and has not had an issue. I would never have the guts to try it with my boat. They back the trailer into his yard, push the boat off a few and then put the stands under the stern and then turn the turnbuckle on the stands to raise the boat up a few feet. They then begin to pull the trailer forward and add a few more stands until the boat is lifted off the trailer. Always hated to watch the process but it did work. The boat was a 1968 29 foot Sea Ray
Small point, but important for anyone reading this... Those guys should be using keel blocks if they are using stands on the sides of the hull. Blocks can be concrete, wood or even foam - but the keel blocks take most of the weight - the stands keep the boat from tipping. Also, stands should be chained together from side to side.

Reactions: RussGW270

Newport Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We used to do this all the time and in Newport shipyards. All you need are stands ( or blocks if not available) and a real jack. Jack transom up 3” off trailer. Pull boat forward. May only get 2 feet. Strategically place more stands or blocks forward. Pull trailer up. Repeat.

W practice you can get boat on blocks w a buddy in 45 mins.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, I am sure all of these will work, but a shame to spend all that money on things you could screw up.. lol.. and maybe only use once. I think my best bet is to take a week long vacation on the coast.. drop her in the water with a rented slip.. and either drop the trailer off to have it done while we enjoy the boat.. or work on it myself.. lol

BUT.. good to have options

R

Exposingtime

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I would just take the boat to a trailer place with a lift. Pay them to adjust bunks. They lift boat off, adjust, put it down and repeat until properly set.

Gary

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tried that too, Gary....lots of "we do not do that... liability reasons"... i.e. I did not buy anything from them and they have enough business.

This town blows.

R

Exposingtime

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Tried that too, Gary....lots of "we do not do that... liability reasons"... i.e. I did not buy anything from them and they have enough business.

This town blows.

R

I had a new trailer made for my boat. Legit trailer place in miami. Busy beyond belief They were happy to take my money to build a trailer, but couldn't be bothered to fix the trailer so it would fit. This was with trailering specs from grady. It took 2 weeks with the boat and trailer sitting in their yard for them to actually do the work. Like 15 boats waiting to have adjustments.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you just want to adjust the bunks a bit higher it can be done very easy with the boat on the trailer. I have done it several times this is how I would do it.
Decide how much you want to lift the bunks you say one or two inches, using a small jack on the I beam or on the ground ( hard ,like concrete) a piece of timber say 4"x2" about 2'-3' long to spread the load, on the bottom of the boat at the rear and very close the outside where the hull is a bit flat and very strong. Lift with the jack until you achieve the height you want. If you find that you can't lift enough so the boat comes up on the front of the bunk you will need to either use a block ( timber with carpet) to hold the boat up and repeat the exercise at the front of the bunk. It is a good idea to use blocks or stands if you are going under the boat or even trailer for safety. Adjust the bunk up and do the same on the other side. You don't need to get under to do this can be done from the side.
If you just want to lift the guards up because the tyres hit you don't have to lift the bunks, you only lift the bunks if the boat is too close to the axles and or cross members.
If you need the guards up a little lift the guards if that is not possible because the boat is very close to them and you have torsion axles you can take one wheel of at the time and adjust the arm up a couple notches .

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry Russ, I appeared to have inadvertently opened a door, that understandably few want to use, but do know how to get there. I like the idea of a vacation break, drop it in the water play on it ,work on it, enjoy it and then when all is well go on home!!! We are here to enjoy the process! Cheers, trapper