Am I being overcharged?

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. I bought new decals to replace the faded ones on the cabin and provided them to my dealer to install.They were to remove the old ones and place the new ones. They also replaced the fuel line connector on my starboard Honda 130. I was charged for 6.5 hours of service time for a total of $643.00. Has anyone done these 2 jobs themselves? Should it take 6.5 hours? I was not too happy when I received the bill in the mail as an addition to my winterization invoice. Thanks for any help with this.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you have an itemized bill that shows exactly what they did? Was it just the decals on the side of the cabin? At first glance, it sounds high - but an itemized bill will help.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Do you have an itemized bill that shows exactly what they did? Was it just the decals on the side of the cabin? At first glance, it sounds high - but an itemized bill will help.
The bill states that the decals were installed and the fuel line connector was replaced on the starboard engine. 6.5 total hours, $643.00

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Actually, under $100 bucks an hour for labor is not bad...they charge over $125 locally.
These are easy jobs to do yourself but if you don't have the time you gotta pay I guess...

Yes, it takes time, (maybe a couple hours) but all you need is a heat gun and an old credit card to use as a scraper to remove the old decals, a bit of elbow grease and some wd-40 followed up by windex to clean off any residue, and simply peel-and stick to apply the new decal.
I did all my side stripes several years ago and also just did those cabin pendants a couple of seasons ago. However although I purchased the new ones off Ebay I just left the new decals off since I liked the look of my old girl "naked" ;)

Attachments

• Finest Kind.JPG
    Finest Kind.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 21

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Decals on cabin ONLY... Can't see that taking more than an hour or so.

Fuel Line connector... not sure which one we're talking about, but "most" connectors are pretty easy. Let's go with an hour here, as well.

Without knowing all the ins-n-outs of what they did, it's hard to judge. But I think it would be a fair question to ask them about it and better explain it. Certainly seems high. And, yes, I've done these things before. But I do think it'd be good to get a more itemized list and/or why it took so long. "Maybe" there's something more to it... maybe...

jcacchio

Reaction score
Actually, under $100 bucks an hour for labor is not bad...they charge over $125 locally.
These are easy jobs to do yourself but if you don't have the time you gotta pay I guess...

Yes, it takes time, (maybe a couple hours) but all you need is a heat gun and an old credit card to use as a scraper to remove the old decals, a bit of elbow grease and some wd-40 followed up by windex to clean off any residue, and simply peel-and stick to apply the new decal.
I did all my side stripes several years ago and also just did those cabin pendants a couple of seasons ago. However although I purchased the new ones off Ebay I just left the new decals off since I liked the look of my old girl "naked" ;)
If I had the time I would have done it myself. Would have been impossible while the boat was in the water. When they pulled the boat for the winter I had them do it. Just could not imagine it would take 6.5 hours of labor. I would think if I was really slow, a couple of hours would be reasonable. I just didn't know if the process of removing the 2 decals was more complicated than I thought.

jcacchio

Reaction score
If I had the time I would have done it myself. Would have been impossible while the boat was in the water. When they pulled the boat for the winter I had them do it. Just could not imagine it would take 6.5 hours of labor. I would think if I was really slow, a couple of hours would be reasonable. I just didn't know if the process of removing the 2 decals was more complicated than I thought.
I am certainly going to have a conversation in person with them this week when I can get there.

fathergoose

Reaction score
I think that you were overcharged. I had the dealer replace one of the decals on my last boat along with winterizing the boat and some other minor issues and the total bill was $600 including the cost of the decals and winterizing.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I think that you were overcharged. I had the dealer replace one of the decals on my last boat along with winterizing the boat and some other minor issues and the total bill was $600 including the cost of the decals and winterizing.
Does anyone know how long it should take to replace the fuel line connector?

seasick

Reaction score
Did you ask for an estimate up front?

As mentioned, the labor rate is on par. I can't say one way or the other about the hours it took but the dealer should have been able to provide an approximate estimate.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Did you ask for an estimate up front?

As mentioned, the labor rate is on par. I can't say one way or the other about the hours it took but the dealer should have been able to provide an approximate estimate.
Didn't ask for an estimate. Boat was hauled and winterized/ shrink wrapped. Service manager left me a message and said fuel line connector needed replacing, a $45 part. Didn't sound like a very big deal. I then received a bill in the mail for 6.5 hours to replace it and install the new decals. I am going to see him about it on Friday. No problem with the hourly rate, but I just wanted to have an idea from someone who has done this type of work in the past if it should take 6.5 hours to replace it and put the decals on. If its almost a full days work, then ok. If it should take a couple of hours, then I have an issue.

fathergoose

Reaction score
I just looked up my invoice and it was $237.56 for the labor which also included NEMA together the VHF and GPS, checking all zincs, replacing fuel filters and re-installing a cockpit light that I knocked off. I think that you should dispute your labor charge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Seems pretty excessive to me. I'd guess it should have been 1/2 that. What was the charge for the decals themselves? Those things are not inexpensive.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do all my work on the boat myself because of ridiculous invoices like that. I removed the thick part of the stripping on my 208 myself in about an hour. I am always amazed at some of the bills for work presented to boat owners by the dealer....technician.... representative... without embarrassment, or some cased with no detailed explanation for the work needed to complete. Maybe I may be doing it backward, but If there is a job I just cannot complete myself I do get a firm...not a maybe... quote on the cost of the job, yes with a little possible leeway for an unseen issue that can occur with boats in salt water and I suppose fresh.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The problem I have with one fixed labor rate is not knowing if some work, like decals, is done by the top mechanic, or by the dock hand. Should you pay the same for both?

Topjimmy

Reaction score
replaced decals on both sides of my 192 a few months ago 65 bucks for the set and about 1 hour on the removal and install taking my time so there ya go

TonyD

Reaction score
I do all my work on the boat myself because of ridiculous invoices like that. I removed the thick part of the stripping on my 208 myself in about an hour. I am always amazed at some of the bills for work presented to boat owners by the dealer....technician.... representative... without embarrassment, or some cased with no detailed explanation for the work needed to complete. Maybe I may be doing it backward, but If there is a job I just cannot complete myself I do get a firm...not a maybe... quote on the cost of the job, yes with a little possible leeway for an unseen issue that can occur with boats in salt water and I suppose fresh.

No joke! That's why I come here and ask questions everyday.. :D