Am I getting too much gas or not enough?

jdsmith

Reaction score
I would appreciate any thoughts/comments on the following situation I am experiencing:

After launching, motor fires, turns over and starts immediately

Motor works normally from slow idle to running at speed

Turn off motor to fish (Half an hour or more)

Engine again starts immediately

However, when I put the engine in gear, it stalls out

Immediately starts when turning the key but stalls out when putting shifter in gear. After several (5-8) times the engine does not stall when put in gear. If I start the engine and then let it idle for 3-4 minutes, it seems to not stall when put in gear. when returning to port, at no wake speed, again the motor stalls, but 100% of the time it restarts immediately.

When at cruising speed, motor does not miss. Runs very good.

Any suggestions??

richie rich

Reaction score
interesting problem,

check the choke plate and linkage and see if its binding up anywhere or not opening all the way...seems like at low idle and cold it gives you most of the problem...it may be sticking a little....also check your idle speed..it may be just a tad on the low side. Check and read your plugs to see if the fuel adjustment is too lean or heavy and readjust the fuel screw to the factory settings. Sometimes the coil packs start to act up but thats normally when hot, not cold.

secondly, have you been having any issues will fuel contamination at all? Sometimes a bit of crap may enter the carb and get trapped in the idle circuit...at WOT you won't notice a thing but when cruising super slow just as you're about to dock it will snuff out. It may mean a cleaning of the carbs...but that should be your last resort.

Bama96

Reaction score
Check your primer bulb connections and fuel line. Is it sucking air? Are the clamps tight? My dad has a 150 Johnson 1992 model and it was doing the same thing. Changed the fuel filter under the cowling, cleaned the carbs, and replaced the primer bulb. Runs great now. Just a thought.

jdsmith

Reaction score
Bama and Richie....... Thanks to both of you for the excellent suggestions. I just came back from checking the plugs and noticed that there was some oil around the threads of all of them. Does that mean anything. Plugs are clean other than the oil. No fouling at all. I'll check for air leaks tomorrow. Thanks again, guys.

richie rich

Reaction score
JD, a little oil residue like you describe is normal for a 2 stroke since you're burning oil with the gas. And if they are all the same then the carb set up seems OK. Start with the simple stuff like sticky linkages, idle speed and the air leaks and primer bulb and see what happens...those things don't cost much/anything.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I have a 94 175 Johnson and had the same problem you're having when it was new except for the stalling at no wake speeds. According to the customer service tech I talked to at OMC, the problem was caused by heat soaking of the motor while it sat for a short period of time and it would take a minute or so at idle to re-wet the crankcase. He suggested richening the idle mixture just a bit. I figured that I had nothing to lose, so I backed the idle screws out 1/8 of a turn and that proved to be the solution for me. I have not had that problem since.

Bama96

Reaction score
richie rich said:
Good point Bama....at low idle, a little air leak can have a similar effect.

My dads air leak was caused by the fuel line and primer bulb being old and a little dry rotted. Even small pin holes could cause that to occur. A cheap fix if thats the problem.