Am I the only one with twins on a Seafarer??

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Now that Ive had the boat abut a year or so. I have noticed i haven't seen any other Seafarers with twins. I know it was a option for my year model guessing it was rarely chosen. Have any of you seen another Seafarer w/ twins or know of any?? Just curious because i haven't seen another yet..

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think
I've seen one in the NE on the road, but it did not look stock, looked like an idiot who wanted as much hp as possible....had 2 200's on it!!!! Barely fit in the engine well. After passing him and reading some bumper stickers on his truck I could clearly tell this guy wasn;t too smart.

I do not think many sold because most seafarer's are just find with single power, the added cost to buy and then run the boat is not warranted for typical user's. I know just how well the boat run's with a single, going twin's would make that a quick boat, just not sure the extra cost to maintain and operate would be worth it. Most guys who go to twins want 1 of 2 things, more speed, or safety when going offshore. Even with the aux fuel, the 22 is not exactly a long distance runner, it might have the range if you wanted to really push it, but the boat is small for offshore fishing, not worth the risk on most days so there was little market for twins and the option did not last long.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
I think
I've seen one in the NE on the road, but it did not look stock, looked like an idiot who wanted as much hp as possible....had 2 200's on it!!!! Barely fit in the engine well. After passing him and reading some bumper stickers on his truck I could clearly tell this guy wasn;t too smart.

I do not think many sold because most seafarer's are just find with single power, the added cost to buy and then run the boat is not warranted for typical user's. I know just how well the boat run's with a single, going twin's would make that a quick boat, just not sure the extra cost to maintain and operate would be worth it. Most guys who go to twins want 1 of 2 things, more speed, or safety when going offshore. Even with the aux fuel, the 22 is not exactly a long distance runner, it might have the range if you wanted to really push it, but the boat is small for offshore fishing, not worth the risk on most days so there was little market for twins and the option did not last long.
Twin 200's :shock: With the 135's that i have i top out at 50mph or so with a full fuel load ( main and aux). The reason this boat was so appelintg to me was the twin engine security offshore. I have been tryng to get fuel camparison figures but can't find anyone else to compare to.Guess im on my own. I will tell you this boat has the power if needed. I dont think it is a hack job and they fit real nice on the transom.
100_1539.jpg

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree 135's are appealing to me, would have liked that on my 226. The guy with 200's was nut's...I passed him and just laughed...he had a nice trailer too, about 3 sizes too small for the boat as well...if I ever saw him on the water I'd run the other way at WOT... :lol:

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 1987 catalog has the maximum HP for your boat at 280 so they must have expected twin engine set ups. Either twin 140 OMC's or 135 merc's like you have. here is the link

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/cata ... s/1987.pdf

Most of the new 226/228 I see generally are equipped with a F250 which I would aasume to be about the same power and speed wise as yours. Fuel burn on your boat with the older engines would be about double the F250.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Yeah i would like to have a new set of opti's but just can't see the expense. The engines on there now are 97 model 135 offshore. They are workhorses. Have been told by a Mercury service manager at the Grady dealer here that style motor is one of the best that Mercury has ever made. Do away with the oil pump and go premix and they will run forever. They haven't given me lick of trouble yet( but you know how that goes!). They smoke when they first fire nd burn more fuel than i like but not gonna fix it if it isn't broke. As long as they will run me 40 miles to bluewater and i have confidence in them(the main thing) I will continue to keep'em on the back...Just wish i could find some fuel burn numbers from that style engine...

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Funny you brought this up, there is one listed on Ebay 3/4/09.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah but the one on ebay I can guarentee was not stock, it has 150hp...more then a 22 seafarer is rated for, Grady would not do that, and the engines are newer then the hull. Wonder why it's on ebay...wouldn't want a boat that's overpowered if you gave it to me for next to nothing, I know exactly what can go wrong on overpowered boats, seen it too many times working in the industry already.