Amber indicator lights or toggle switch ‘87 seafarer

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does anybody know where to get the little indicator lights that go under the switches? or if there is a good LED replacement? I have a 1987 seafarer
also, who makes these switches? They look like a black paddle toggle switch.

searching the board finds ancient posts to nowhere... someplace called RadioShack (lol)

thank you.
I should probably trash the panel and rewire with a panel from NewWire Marine but I'm feeling industrious now that I'm out of the water for the year.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does anybody know where to get the little indicator lights that go under the switches? or if there is a good LED replacement? I have a 1987 seafarer
also, who makes these switches? They look like a black paddle toggle switch.

searching the board finds ancient posts to nowhere... someplace called RadioShack (lol)

thank you.
I should probably trash the panel and rewire with a panel from NewWire Marine but I'm feeling industrious now that I'm out of the water for the year.
I have the same things. Offhand, I don't know the manufacturer. I "think" the switch manufacturer might be Cole Hersee. But I don't think they'll be that hard to match up, regardless of manufacturer. Pull a switch out and look at it - if you can still read the tag, it will tell you. Don't focus too much on the manufacturer - just go for the style. If you google for marine toggle switch, you'lll get lots of hits. However, in addition to the two I mentioned above, other brands that come to mind... Blue Seas, BEP and Sierra.

BUT... if you're going to change all the toggle switches, it really doesn't matter if they're the same as the originals since you could change the style if you wanted. Including going with a toggle that has the light built into the tip. Then put a label/sticker (see Blue seas) over the old hole for the indicator light that tells the function. It would be easy enough to fill the hole in and make it smooth and even repaint the panel, too.

The same goes for the lights - including googling for marine indicator lights.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I just saw something come across my feed from New wire marine..those fellas are the bomb..gonna have them redo mine next year

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same things. Offhand, I don't know the manufacturer. I "think" the switch manufacturer might be Cole Hersee. But I don't think they'll be that hard to match up, regardless of manufacturer. Pull a switch out and look at it - if you can still read the tag, it will tell you. Don't focus too much on the manufacturer - just go for the style. If you google for marine toggle switch, you'lll get lots of hits. However, in addition to the two I mentioned above, other brands that come to mind... Blue Seas, BEP and Sierra.

BUT... if you're going to change all the toggle switches, it really doesn't matter if they're the same as the originals since you could change the style if you wanted. Including going with a toggle that has the light built into the tip. Then put a label/sticker (see Blue seas) over the old hole for the indicator light that tells the function. It would be easy enough to fill the hole in and make it smooth and even repaint the panel, too.

The same goes for the lights - including googling for marine indicator lights.
I was thinking of the lamps not the switch. I guess I can measure the hole and see. I'll buy a lighted switch and see how it interacts with the bilge pump/on/off indicator that is separate from just the position switch

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You mentioned both things, but... Re-read my entire post :)
thanks, read it. will probably replace the LED lamps rather than the switch... so will measure.... Lit switch does make things easier and one of the posts above had one for $10 which is hard to argue with

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
thanks, read it. will probably replace the LED lamps rather than the switch... so will measure.... Lit switch does make things easier and one of the posts above had one for $10 which is hard to argue with
It certainly can't hurt to measure, but I'm pretty sure these are standard. If memory serves, I think it's a 3/16" hole - but check brands such as Blue Seas or even SeaDog.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just replaced the lights that illuminate my switches. This is an exact replacement, but my boat is an older SeaRay. They are a good light though for the purpose. Not too bright at night. This price is way out a line though. You can find them for 5 or 6 bucks, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0137DP...+marine+courtesy+lights&qid=1646080696&sr=8-8

This is the lighted toggle that is in my boat. This is double pole/ double throw but they have all types. I found this at Grainger on ebay. My light color is green but other colors are available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313187995440

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorOctopus

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just replaced the lights that illuminate my switches. This is an exact replacement, but my boat is an older SeaRay. They are a good light though for the purpose. Not too bright at night. This price is way out a line though. You can find them for 5 or 6 bucks, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0137DP...+marine+courtesy+lights&qid=1646080696&sr=8-8

This is the lighted toggle that is in my boat. This is double pole/ double throw but they have all types. I found this at Grainger on ebay. My light color is green but other colors are available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313187995440
the light-tip bat toggle lights DO look pretty cool and a bit more modern!

I might do this instead of the lit switch $12 vs $7 but it's really whichever I like to looks of better! I'm sure with a little trial and error I will figure out how to get it to light when the auto bilge comes on. Will also find some two-position switches since only my wipers, bilges and Nav/anchor light have on-off-on