Anchor and Chain size

HBSteve

Reaction score
I have a 2005 282 Sailfish and want to get a new Lewmar Delta anchor. We currently have 1/4" chain and 1/2" line. The delta 14lb would match our 1/4 inch chain but then the anchor is at the very top end of the size chart for the 28' Sailfish. I'd like to get the 22lb Delta (which is on the heavy side) but that recommends the 5/16 chain. Is it a concern to just use my 1/4" chain? I'd really rather stick with the 1/4", it works well with the windlass etc. Our anchoring is primairly for the leeward side of Catalina Island in Southern California. Thanks......

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I started with the 14# delta and moved to the 22# delta. Same Chain and rode recommended with the lewmar windlass...1/4 chain, 30ft. and 8 plait rode, 500'. So far, it works out fine and no issue.

PS....the 14# held fine but tried the 22# to see if I could get it to self launch easier thinking the 14# was too light. In the end, had same issue with 22#. But have another post on here that shows how I resolved that by putting some lead strips on cross bar, just 8oz was enough and it now self launches. I bet I still could do same with 14# and it would hold in most cases, but why bother....the 22# is fine.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Yes, I read through your prior thread. We have the through pulpit system where the anchor hangs underneath. Hopefully the #22 will fit.....No problems with the 1/4" chain though, eh? That's good. I really don't want to modify anything.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't switch chain simply because of the chain. As long as the 1/4" is heavy enough for your boat (which I believe it is), you're good to go. The anchor won't impart a heavier pull on the chain - the pull is dependent on the boat and the conditions. I suppose you could make an argument that a heavier anchor will set better, which could allow for a heavier pull - but I think that's stretching the envelope. I upgraded to a 22lb Delta for my 28' Sundancer and didn't change out the 1/4"HT chain.

HBSteve

Reaction score
OK then. So long as the delta #22 fits my through-pulpit roller, I'm good to go. Thanks so much.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I also upgraded to the 22# from 14#. Left everything else the same, chain etc. I was hoping that it would launch better then the 14#. however, I didn't see much of a difference. Both still need a push off most of the time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
drbatts said:
I also upgraded to the 22# from 14#. Left everything else the same, chain etc. I was hoping that it would launch better then the 14#. however, I didn't see much of a difference. Both still need a push off most of the time.

Whether it's the 14# or 22#, they still have basically the same balance point. You probably just have a pulpit/roller setup that was designed for a fluke-style. A roller that was designed for a plow will self launch very easily.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 1/4" chain is plenty with the 22# Delta - that's what we have with 600-ft of 1/2" 8-plaint anchor rode.

And you can't change the chain size without modifying your windlass. The gypsy is made for a certain size of chain.

Brian

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here is a simple fix for those that can't get their Delta to self launch. Added 2 lead strips, 4oz each for total of 8oz and she launches fast now.

Attachments

• Anchor Counter Balance Weight.jpg
    Anchor Counter Balance Weight.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 3,681

HBSteve

Reaction score
Is there a critical difference between the #22 Delta and the #14. The 282 Sailfish is smack dab in the overlap of the two sizes.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
HBSteve said:
Is there a critical difference between the #22 Delta and the #14. The 282 Sailfish is smack dab in the overlap of the two sizes.

When in doubt on ground tackle always opt for the larger size.

JMHO.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update to those with self launch issues on their setup.....I can now vouch that the additional ounces of lead added as shown in pic above works like a charm. I was able to test this weekend and it lauched with no effort and anchored perfectly. I even was at anchor long enough for the tide to change directions and the anchor stayed hooked, so seems this added weight is not a negative affect in staying hooked. Frustration level now is ZERO! :mrgreen: