Anchor Choices

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So the 225 that we bought has an anchor locker which is set up for a Danforth anchor... which is fine. I would like to also have a plow anchor like a Lewmar in the boat.

We like to drop the bow anchor and then back into a beach. We then jam a stern anchor into the beach to hold us in place. I thought a plow style anchor would work well for that, and also as a back-up anchor. (but I have only used Danforth anchors in the past...)

Anybody have a good judgment on the right size of plow anchor for a 225 Tournament?

Does anybody with a 225 keep a second anchor and WHERE do you stow it?

Thanks...

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here in Australia most sea going craft prefer Ploughs to Danforths and my own experience would support that. Having just purchased my first agrady ....a 265 express i am a little dissapointed to see how much it is set up for the danforth. Which means I will need to have a new double bow roller setup installed. I will then have a plough ready to deploy and a reef pick on it's own 300ft line and shortish chain for day fishing on the GBR. My backup is then a danforth for the beach anchor as you suggested.
I do strongly believe a plough is a better holding anchor in all bottoms.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bow-1.jpg

Bow-2.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here is my anchor question. I have a Marlin 300 which came with the bruce anchor. I am in South Florida and will use the boat here, the Keys and the Bahammas. I am more accustomed to danforth and plow anchors. Should I change out the bruce for either a danforth or plow, and if so which one. Use would be primarily for day anchoring but also overnight occassionaly. If switching from bruce, the boat is a 2005. Is there any need to change the set up which drops the anchor down as opposed to over an open ended roller. Thanks for the information.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
MRT said:
ocnslr - What type of bracket is the danforth on? Does it hold securely when running offshore?

It's on a bracket made by Windline. See PM1 or PM2 on here:
http://www.windline.com/accessories.html

The anchor is a 12H. It sits in there and hasn't ever bounced out - or even come close - in some very bad weather. The shank is down in a piece of hose that is cable-tied to the pulpit stanchion. Just lift the anchor up and it is out of the bracket.

Rode is 200-feet of 1/2-inch with 12-feet of chain, in the storage bin under the aft end of the post V-berth.

Brian