Anchor Light -- need replacement

timo14

Reaction score
My masthead light is now part of a reef off of Wildwood, New Jersey. :x Guess I didn't quite tighten the nut. So, I need a new one. I was looking at Perko lights on their site, but I'm having a little trouble. First, my old light had the bend right at the windshield, then it went vertical. The new ones slope up at the angle of the windshield, then turn vertical right before the light. I'm thinking that this might help to reduce glare, which was a problem with the old light. Also, all of these "bent" models are regular bulb units. I was hoping to find one with LED's. Des anyone know if there is one with LED's, maybe another manufacturer? Also, will these units fit in my existing reciever?

Here's Perko's site....
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ ... 51_103_107

I'm looking at the 1273 or 1274... cant quite figure out the difference between the two.

Thanks,
Tim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our Islander new with just the vista top, and used our factory-installed all-around light for about six months until we had a hardtop fabricated and installed.

If I recall correctly, the short bent section then the long vertical section was intended to keep the light forward enough so the top - and curtains - could be put up. A light pole with a longer straight section from the plug to continue the line of the windshield would likely interfere with the top and curtains.

So, if you don't expect to have a problem, then the style you note may work for you.

I have just replaced my bow lights with LEDs, and the all-around light has been ordered.

Brian

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem finding one with the "right" bend. I had my bimini replaced an the new one was a little taller and blocked the light. I ended up finding one with the bend at Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft Pierce for $30 which was much cheaper that Perko. Did end up cutting a few inches off so I could clear the boathouse with the light up. Try this link.

http://www.themarineconnection.net/

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tim,

just looked at the Perko link. The difference in the two lights is the orientation of the mounting plate. Mine is the 1274 with the plate parallel to the light pole. The other is rotated 90 degrees.

timo14

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The perko masts will definately not work, they will hit the bimini top. I'm now thinking of maybe making some sort of electronics support bracket on the front of the windshield. I'd use it to support my mast light, Sirius antenna and GPS antenna (maybe a radar dome in the future too). Right now, the sirius is on the bow between the clete and the bow light. The GPS antenna is on the dash, below the windshield. I loose reception now and then, which i dont think is due to the mounting location, but I'd still like to get it up higher.

Anyone have anything similar?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I forgot to mention one thing. I did find a straight light that fit once before. It had the plug in 3 prong outlet that Grady used. i took the straight light to a canvas guy and had him bend it to match the old one. Worked pretty well but was just slightly crooked (my fault). The canvas guy used the tool he bends top supports with. Sure you could use a conduit bender also if you know an electrician.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Isn't the light on the '86 a plug in bent pole ?

The base is fixed and has a black cap to normally screw over the fitting to seal it when the light pole is off and stowed away?

Freeport Marine (Freeport , NY) catalog page 84 shows it as a Perko 1124 with a bent 26- 1/2 inch pole.

It looks like the bend is at the light head though, but swapping the end fittings with eachother may work, put the light where the socket is and visa-versa. I have some recollection of doing that on my 1988, 204C.

You can then get an LED conversion light with the same base as the regular auto type bulb it comes with, if you prefer LED.

Good luck.