Anchor Line & Cleat

dbrkr

Reaction score
Just ordered a Lewmar profish 700 windlass for my '97 232. It uses 1/2" line. Anyone know the capacity of the storage box? 2nd Question: What to do about the large center cleat on the bow pulpit where the windlass should mount. I believe the large long (18") bolt cleat mount is also the primary hold strength of the pulpit.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a good point. When I removed that lifting eye on my previous boat for a windlass, I considered having a nut welded to the bottom of a stainless disk to replace it, but I ended up just removing and covering it.
On my current boat, it is still in place, and I am thinking of trying to cover it with something to protect it from the chain. I seldom anchor, and any tension keeps chain or rode above the eye. My anchor does not free fall, so I am not worried about it catching the rode on the fall.

dbrkr

Reaction score
Talked to a dealer today and he says remove the cleat - the windlass mounting bolts will work just fine for holding the pulpit. Also told me I can store up to 200' of 1/2' line.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good information, I am looking to install a windlass as my buddies are tired of hauling up the anchor line. The same applies to me with regard to the center cleat and I am not in favor of using my windless to secure the anchor line. Was thinking of moving this cleat forward a bit making room for windlass, any ideas? Also didn't know where to mount the foot switch -- Am able to store 300 feet of 1/2 inch anchor line with anchor remaining on the bow pulpit.