Anchor Line

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Happy New Year!
I currently have 1/2" 3-strand nylon as anchor line. It twists easily in my anchor locker to the point where it tangles as it comes into the windless (from locker to windless). I am wondering if going to 8-plait line would minimize this problem. Is there any 'con' to going to 8-plait? What is the 'pro' for using 3-strand?
Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
3-stand is less expensive, 8-plait lays nicer.

However, line should be cleaned every so often. Doing that might very well solve your problem. You can do it on deck with some big buckets. Soak it in fresh water for a while, then rinse and repeat with some bio-friendly soap and agitate the clump of line with a boat hook/hands, whatever. Rinse again. Then soak with some fabric softener added. If you can, get in the habit of rinsing the pile of line in the locker when you're rinsing the boat, too (you can leave it in the locker for this). Lastly, find a really deep section of water and let out all of the line. As it comes back in, it should naturally get rid of kinks. The other way you could do it is to secure the anchor and pull the line out of the locker, untie it from the securing ring in the locker, and let it pay out as you go in reverse for about 5 minutes. Same thing will happen - it will naturally unwind.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with Dennis. I find that not a lot of people pay attention to how the line is coming back into the locker (self included). I think going to 8-plait will help a lot and likely you'll be ok. I've rinsed the locker from time to time after using the anchor, never used fabric softener and with 8-plait never observed an issue. Just my 2 cents.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
8 Plait will definitely help with twisting. also make sure you have a good swivel between the anchor and the chain. I agree keeping the line clean will also help. Only downside to 8 plait is that it is much more difficult to splice compared to 3 strand.