Anchor line

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
What is the best 1\2 inch 3 strand nylon to use with a Lewmar 700 winch on a 305 Express. I have 30 ft of 316 chain and just want to replace line with a 3 strand I can splice.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Check the specs of your windlass. If your line goes through it not all types of line will work. That said, like Dennis mentioned, New England ropes is known as the gold standard for any type of lines

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Check the specs of your windlass. If your line goes through it not all types of line will work. That said, like Dennis mentioned, New England ropes is known as the gold standard for any type of lines

Thankz

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Defender has some good deals on anchor line. For my Lewmar ProFish 700 I went with a pre-spliced 8-plait. Windlass had trouble swallowing the spice this Winter in FL. The splice loops thru the chain then doubles back and splices into itself. I'm going to cut it off and do a rope to chain splice to see if it feeds better.

I also found that the Lewmar ProFish 700 was faster than my old Horizon and causes the anchor to "flip" coming around the bend. In the process of installing a pivoting bow roller. May be able to self-launch too.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Highly recommend 8-plate line, my experience is it handles much easier, lays better in the locker and the windlass likes it better. More difficult to splice but if you take your time, Buy a cheap Swedish fid and follow instructions you can do it very well. If you currently have 8-plate, recommend switching ends go direct splice to the chain and it will last you numerous seasons.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Highly recommend 8-plate line, my experience is it handles much easier, lays better in the locker and the windlass likes it better. More difficult to splice but if you take your time, Buy a cheap Swedish fid and follow instructions you can do it very well. If you currently have 8-plate, recommend switching ends go direct splice to the chain and it will last you numerous seasons.
Thanks Bill. I have 8 braid line but have been unable to do the linevto chain splice. I am going with 3 strand since I can do this splice.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Defender has some good deals on anchor line. For my Lewmar ProFish 700 I went with a pre-spliced 8-plait. Windlass had trouble swallowing the spice this Winter in FL. The splice loops thru the chain then doubles back and splices into itself. I'm going to cut it off and do a rope to chain splice to see if it feeds better.

I also found that the Lewmar ProFish 700 was faster than my old Horizon and causes the anchor to "flip" coming around the bend. In the process of installing a pivoting bow roller. May be able to self-launch too.
I ordered the New England 3 strand from Partsvu. $188.95 with free shipping. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks Bill. I have 8 braid line but have been unable to do the linevto chain splice. I am going with 3 strand since I can do this splice.
Consider finding a local source that could splice it for you. I believe the advantages are worth it. Should not cost very much.