Anchor Locker 1994 Adventure 208

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Guys-

How do you get the cover open?

I have a windlass bolted to the cover, the chain got jammed up and I ended up taking the anchor off the chain and wound everything into the boat.

So now its unstuck. But I cant figure out how the locker door opens. I see no latches on the outside, do I have to reach up from the cuddy compartment where the anchor rode is stored? There were 8 screws securing the cover, I dont know if it came like this from the factory or it they were added when the windlass was installed. I removed them, the hatch will move a little now, but there is still something holding it shut

thanks

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I haven't seen an anchor locker door on a GW that was not hinged with a latch to keep it closed. Sounds like you may be looking at a home made modification.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
there are hinges but I do not see a latch on the outside. The hatch itself looks like it was its original to the boat.

my question is where is the latch located? I dont see a place for it

Im sure the windlass was added on by the dealer somewhere along the line

Maybe I should take a few pics of this and post them

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will need someone with a 208 of that year to chime in... I tried to find a pic on the Grady White site but no luck. Sorry I couldn't help.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Mine is original and there are no screws holding the cover other than the hinge screws. Looking down at the cover, there is a recess along the right side,opposite the hinge side, where I can put my finger in and lift the cover. There is a stud screwed into the cover that fits into a plastic clothes pin type latch when the cover is closed. That is all that holds it and it is very easy to open when needed.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
ryoung said:
Mine is original and there are no screws holding the cover other than the hinge screws. Looking down at the cover, there is a recess along the right side,opposite the hinge side, where I can put my finger in and lift the cover. There is a stud screwed into the cover that fits into a plastic clothes pin type latch when the cover is closed. That is all that holds it and it is very easy to open when needed.

That's exactly what we have on our 1995 208.

TerryR

Reaction score
Mine is also like OnoEric and ryoung's. It must be an after market instillation. Good Luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Installing a windlass on the smaller Gradys, may have no other choice because of lack of surface space, to mount it right thru the cover.

So you would have to go thru the forward end of the V birth compartment, my 204C had a piece of vinyl covering the access opening.

Can't use the compatment any longer for anchor storage.

This may be the case.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thanks

I will investigate more now that the boat is home.

I think with the windlass being bolted to the cover, there are bolts sercuring it that are not allowing me to open the hatch.

I need to get the kid down there and feel for them I am way too big to get my body down there though that little access hole in the v berth LOL

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I recall the opening at the forwad end of the V berth, above the cushion level, was more than adequate, but your model is newer than my 88 so changes may have been made.

A buddy of mine with the same boat but a 2001, mounted a windlass and had to do the same thing, right through the cover, bolted the cover permanent.