Anchor Locker Clip

gradytom

Reaction score
I have a 98 Islander.
The forward anchor locker has a small plastic friction clip that holds the lid closed when a pin from the lid slides into it.
I am replacing my 3rd clip in 6 years. We try not to let the lid slam down but they break anyway.
Anybody have any suggestions for a different type of closure/latch without sacraficing the flush design?

I contacted Grady CS after my local dealer could not find the part, and they are sending me a replacement.
Thanks Eddie at GradyWhite!!
But I'm still wondering if there is another more durable lid catch fixture I could use.
Thanks

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Two options here, use a lift latch similar to the companion way latch ( the newer stainless variety) or use a stainless hasp that I had on my boat when purchased. The lift knob was also eliminated due to water entering the core of the lid due to poor sealing around that area. If you want to keep the lift knob, drill out the hole larger, fill with epoxy (Marine Tex), drill with the appropriate sized drill, reinstall the lift knob. This is what I did on the rear trash can cover, the masonite core was saturated, froze during the winter and busted it up pretty bad. (95 Islander) Also, keep the bottom edges of the lids coated with gelcoat or you will get delamination around the edges. Same goes for the hardtop.

whaler248

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 248 Voyager. That plastic friction latch just doesn't cut it. I don't have a lift knob, and I don't want to drill a hole in the top for a lift knob similar to the stern trash cover because the bow gets a lot of water. And the lift knob does not keep the lid from flopping up and down. I thought I'd get this thread back to the top to see if there are any more suggestions.

gradytom

Reaction score
Grady sent me a replacement clip for the anchor locker and they have modified it with a metal outer clip, and the plastic
seems to be heavier duty too.
It looks like it will survive much longer than the older style but only time will tell.
I don't have a part number as it showed up in just a plastic parts bag with no label.
Thanks Grady!!