Anchor problem

Jeff4741

Reaction score
I'm having an problem with the shank of my anchor (I think its a delta-type) jamming up into the opening in the bow pulpit. This is a huge nuisance. An auto stop would be nice. Anyone have a simple solution?

Thanks

Attachments

• Anchor Photo.JPG
    Anchor Photo.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,910

seasick

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell from that far away picture and without a picture of the top of the pulpit but it seems that the anchor is not compatible with the pulpit roller insert. A different type anchor( danforth e.g.) without a tapered shaft probably would work better since it wouldn't get wedged in the slot. I suppose some sort of stop bolted to or welded to the shaft that would stop the upward motion before the shaft gets wedged might help but at the same time it might cause the anchor to slap around in seas when stowed.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Concur with seasick. Need a better photo.

I'm guessing that the clearance between the roller and the forward end of the slot in the pulpit doesn't provide sufficient clearance for that section of the shank. I little mod to the slot should work - unless there is SS at the front of the slot.

Brian

ahill

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
Don't run it tight with the windlass.
Get a chain lock and keep the tension off the windlass.
You can cause windlass lockup by making the windlass tension the chain.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and it turned out the shackle was too big and caused a jam on the anchor roller....not sure if that could be your problem. Just a thought.

reelserious

Reaction score
You might try oiling up the roller. Mine hangs up at the start of every season. A little oil on the roller and working it in by pulling the anchor up and down does the trick for me. Hopefully it is that simple for you.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
bayrat said:
I had a similar problem and it turned out the shackle was too big and caused a jam on the anchor roller....not sure if that could be your problem. Just a thought.

Had the same problem. I went up a size with the anchor and shackle, and the larger shackle gets hung up at times.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 300 jammed from the factory. It was caused by the positioning and the angle so that the shaft of the delta anchor where it changes angle would catch on the from of the SS cutout in the pulpit. The dealer fixed it as part of the punch list by cutting a small circle where it was jamming. I'll try to remember to snap a picture. It was worked like a charm for almost 10 years.