Anchor Question

devildogdad

Reaction score
Taking delivery on a Marlin300 in a few weeks. I was wondering what brand of anchor and how much and what size rode they provide. Just getting as prepared as I can.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congrats on the new Marlin.

Recommend you ask the dealer exactly what they intend to provide for your ground tackle. My experience is that it is often at the "minimal" end of the range for both anchor type, size, and length of both chain and rode. While those selections depend a lot on what types of bottom and the depth of water you expect to anchor in, your should be looking for chain equal to the length of the boat, an anchor at least one size larger than what is recommended on the web site for that anchor manufacturer, and 300-feet of rode.

If you have a windlass, then I strongly recommend you get plaited line for your rode, instead of 3-strand.

If the dealer isn't happy with this level of ground tackle, then negotiate as needed, but no sense in starting off with the usual off-brand of "Danforth-type" anchor, 6-ft of vinyl covered chain, and 150-ft of 3-strand nylon.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised when you ask the dealer about the ground tackle, and find that they were already set to "do it the right way".

(Then ask what kind of life jackets they are providing).. :D :D :D

Brian

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I'm almost glad I lost my "stock anchor" last year... It would regular break loose or took a lot more scope to set then it should... I replaced it with a 22lb Lewmar (Delta) Plow Anchor... I put on 50' of chain and re-used the existing 3-strand... This combo hooks and holds in anything! Probably didn't need the full 50' of chain, but for the few bucks more it's been worth it... I will upgrade to the plait in a couple years... the 3 strand occasionally will twist up and not lay correctly...

georgemjr

Reaction score
I also changed this year to the 22# Delta plow, with 30' chain and 8 plait rode. My last anchor held fine (fluke anchor), but did not lay in the pulpit as nicely. The 3 strand I had attached to it would not go through the windlass as well, as it bunched up in the locker. Very happy with the new set up and it retrieves much better with the 8 plait. On a side note, I have a new new fluke anchor with the chain and rode I would like to sell...