Anchor roller size question

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm thinking of installing an anchor roller. While this is nothing new, I just want to make sure I get the proper size roller that will allow for enough overhang off the bow. I believe there is enough room - might need to mount the hawse pipe off center, though. There is 16" of flat space from the center cleat forward to where the deck angles down to the rubrail. The angle takes another 6" of horizontal distance. I'll be using a fluke-style anchor - you can see where I'm keeping the anchor right now!

For those that have a similar set-up (doesn't have to be exactly the same) - how far past the rubrail does your roller extend? Say from the rubrail to the forward-most part of the center area of the roller. I hope that's clear what I'm asking - it makes sense in my head... :roll:

Jim S

Reaction score
Dennis, I am thinking about doing the same thing. Somebody gave me a piece of mahogany 4 by 6, which I am going to cut down and use as a base for the anchor roller, This way I think it will give more support for the anchor davit/roller. I plan on thru bolting with a couple of metal plates on the inside for plenty of strength. As for hangoff, I plan on putting enough over, so when I pull up the anchor, the flukes don't hit the bow. I would love to get to this before blackfish season starts, but you know how time flies when you are having fun!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, Jim. Yes, the "hangoff" distance is the one I need to figure out. I talked to Windline (makes anchor rollers) and they suggested that only 1/3 of the length of the roller should hang off. However, as we talked more, they said that even if you went to 1/2 the distance unsupported it would be fine. Given that, the largest one I see that they make is 23" long. So let's say I have 12" to hang-off... minus the approximately 6" needed to get from the deck past the rubrail, that leaves me 6".

I have a bunch of 1/2" and 3/4" marine ply leftover from the cockpit floor rebuild, so if I had to I could build a simple davit (epoxy coat it and then paint). It's just a matter of whether I can use the 23" roller by itself, or if I end up needing to make a davit, then I can use a smaller roller.

We recently got a boat in (I work part time at a marina) that has an anchor roller sticking out quite far (OEM - a "Striper" boat). It had probably 60% of it's length unsupported. I was surprised at how sturdy it still was - even with my weight hanging and bouncing off it. I'm not sure of the roller brand, but if anything, it wasn't 'more' beefy than a Windline, which I am familiar with.

I'm starting to think that a davit might be the way to go. It'll leave more room for the hawse pipe and I also think that the mooring lines will be less likely to get hung-up on the anchor if it's further out.