anchor roller

wmassey9

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Recent purchase of 2005 228 seafarer. Great boat, but no bow pulpit. Anchor with secured line in anchor locker. But, pulling the anchor back in without a roller for guidance looks to be a problem. Suggestions.
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Many smaller boats have no pulpit or roller. In general, you just lift the anchor, keep it clear of the hull and feed the anchor under the rails if present. If you store your anchor in the anchor locker, having a bow roller can make it more difficult to retrieve your anchor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You could certainly install one, but... you can use the bow rail as a "roller". This allows you to stand up and step back, making it much easier to retrieve. Obviously, you stop when you get to the chain and then reach over! And, of course, tie-off under the rail, not over it. I did this on a previous boat (Sea Ray) and it worked quite well.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

seasick

Reaction score
https://ca.binnacle.com/Docking-and-Mooring-Anchor-Rollers/c33_269/index.html Just have to pick one. It certainly makes it easier retrieving than pulling it straight up and possible whacking the bow and or taking you for a swim.
If you want to store your anchor in the locker rather than hanging off of the bow roller, most of the examples pf anchor rollers have a loop that the rode goes through and you can't easily store the anchor in the locker. Your first question is where you want to store the anchor.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed the 5 Oceans pivoting anchor roller - the more expensive one! Different boat and I had to do some glasswork. Works great.

Ignore the glasswork. Pulpit wasn't in great shape. Ground out gelcoat and repaired. Waiting for paint this Spring. Underneath the old part was filled. The pulpit had to be notched for the new part and allow the anchor to pivot.

IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2811.jpeg IMG_2812.jpeg

This setup allows me to launch and retrieve anchor with the windlass without going up forward.

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased one without the loop.Pull the rode and chain up through (over) the roller them lift it into the anchor locker. I use a Fortress anchor which is fairly light (mostly anchoring in shallow waters) which enables me to hoist it up and over the bow pulpit and into the actor locker with out popping, a gusset in my desperate attempt tp age gracefully.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You could certainly install one, but... you can use the bow rail as a "roller". This allows you to stand up and step back, making it much easier to retrieve. Obviously, you stop when you get to the chain and then reach over! And, of course, tie-off under the rail, not over it. I did this on a previous boat (Sea Ray) and it worked quite well.
Soi what then, do you have to feed everything under the bow rail again?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine came with a roller before I installed the pulpit which I moved onto the pulpit on install. I believe it is easier to install a bow roller and haul up the anchor and rode dropping it into the locker as you retrieve then lift the anchor off the roller (under the railing ) and drop it down into the locker. The other way is like Hookup1 has his, and leave the anchor the bow pulpit (if you have one) These are the two ways to to deal with your anchor. imho Not sure if there is any another way.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mine came with a roller before I installed the pulpit which I moved onto the pulpit on install. I believe it is easier to install a bow roller and haul up the anchor and rode dropping it into the locker as you retrieve then lift the anchor off the roller (under the railing ) and drop it down into the locker. The other way is like Hookup1 has his, and leave the anchor the bow pulpit (if you have one) These are the two ways to to deal with your anchor. imho Not sure if there is any another way.
He mentioned he does not have a pulpit nor a stand-a-lone roller.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I'm not sure what you're asking? Re-read what I wrote - the anchor never goes under the rail.
So, if you have your rope in the locker, you deploy the anchor under the rail and tie off to the cleat..you say you use the bow rail like a roller, and pull the line up and over the rail. Then what, you take all that line and put it back in the locker by going under the rail again?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So, if you have your rope in the locker, you deploy the anchor under the rail and tie off to the cleat..you say you use the bow rail like a roller, and pull the line up and over the rail. Then what, you take all that line and put it back in the locker by going under the rail again?
I suppose I didn't spell it out step for step (I guess I thought it was obvious in my first response), but in my response that you quoted, I specifically said that the anchor never goes under the rail. Over the rail.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I suppose I didn't spell it out step for step (I guess I thought it was obvious in my first response), but in my response that you quoted, I specifically said that the anchor never goes under the rail. Over the rail.
I guess to each his own.