anchor size for a 228

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used a 7 lb Danforth style anchor with 8 ft of chain for many many years. But I switched over to a Fortress FX-7 (4 lb) and I've really been impressed. It sticks faster than the heavier anchor and there is a lot less whining from the crew when it's time to pull. It's the chain that is the most important factor for getting light anchors down. I use a sliding float ball for lifting the anchor off the bottom with the boat. Again, I'm really surprised by how well the Fortress has held up considering the snaggy hard bottom in my area. I was always bending Danforth anchors. The Fortress doesn't bend. I did snap one Fortress off at the shank, but they replaced it under warranty.

https://fortressanchors.com/selection-guide/fortress/

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 on the Fortress, have had it for years. With no windlass sometimes I found it difficult in a lumpy water to pull the heavier actors over the bow pulpit. This is a one hand effort over the bow roller. Ok Ok, I am not that weak, just a little older and not into unscheduled swims. Cheers, trapper

fathergoose

Reaction score
I should have added that I'm located in the Chesapeake and the bottom is mostly muddy. There is also significant currents.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The bay is a relatively forgiving area to anchor and generally pretty easy to set an anchor - so that part is good for you. It's also shallower in most anchoring spots, so that is good, as well as it isn't overly weedy in most spots. As far what size, that brings us back to what Seasick mentioned - there isn't an easy answer... and also no "one best" answer. Variables such as how much chain you want to use and do you have an anchor roller (or even just a bow roller) come into play in picking your anchor. A fluke style is the most common for a smaller boat. A plow works very well, but becomes cumbersome without at least an anchor roller.

Take a look at what Seasick linked and let us know what type of hardware you have at the bow, along with how much chain you'd like to deal with - knowing that, generally, the more the better.

Also "size" can be talked about in terms of actual size or, instead, weight. Both of these will depend on the brand/style you choose. For example, there re probably easily a half dozen brands of fluke styles, if not more. Some manufacturer's ID them in their weigh (lbs), others give arbitrary numbers to them.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is having chain that is at least the length of the boat.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I purchased a 17# stainless steel danforth style with stainless chain (10' I think) and then 250' of rope. It does the job and looks good too! I hate the corrosion you get with coated anchors.

Last edited: