Anchor Swivel issues

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks John! At least I am not the only one!

Got home and did more analysis.
Guess the reason I did not use a shackle is due that the channel is way too narrow for one. I wonder if this is a good reason why the anchor will not spin around. Valid point on trying to find a roller that might be more straight and not so curved, but likely can't find one like that.
Here are some pics of what I am talking about. Not sure the order of them and explanation.
One of these shows the narrow channel. The other shows the bail does not really touch as I loosen the chain from the windlass and slightly help it slide forward. The next pic shows how the swivel binds. I think the problem there is that the slot on the anchor is much too long. Not sure why it has such a long slot. I wonder if I fill it with a large SS bolt and Nut to help keep the swivel at the very end, it might get rid of that issue.

Attachments

• Anchor Pic 4.jpg
    Anchor Pic 4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Anchor Pic 3.jpg
    Anchor Pic 3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Anchor Pic 2.jpg
    Anchor Pic 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Anchor Pic 1.jpg
    Anchor Pic 1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,909

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With your current set up your anchor will never self launch, you have the wrong roller for that anchor or/and the wrong anchor for that roller. If you want to keep the current set up it might work by adding a 2-3" roller exactly under where the letter 'D" from Delta is. This way will raise the back of the anchor and change the launch angle and it might slide down. That bail is very small though.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Thanks John! At least I am not the only one!

Got home and did more analysis.
Guess the reason I did not use a shackle is due that the channel is way too narrow for one. I wonder if this is a good reason why the anchor will not spin around. Valid point on trying to find a roller that might be more straight and not so curved, but likely can't find one like that.
Here are some pics of what I am talking about. Not sure the order of them and explanation.
One of these shows the narrow channel. The other shows the bail does not really touch as I loosen the chain from the windlass and slightly help it slide forward. The next pic shows how the swivel binds. I think the problem there is that the slot on the anchor is much too long. Not sure why it has such a long slot. I wonder if I fill it with a large SS bolt and Nut to help keep the swivel at the very end, it might get rid of that issue.

I had my swivel attached to a shackle and had the same problem….seemed the roller was too narrow. It is now attached to the anchor directly as is yours.I had gone to WM and bought long, narrow shackles with the ends flush but still no joy. Below is the roller I replaced it with. You can see that; 1- there is no bail and 2-the neoprene wheel itself slides up and down to help the anchor seat more easily on the roller. That being said , it does NOT launch 100% of the time and you know the story on the retrieve. Just about ready to scrap the Bruce and go back to danforth. See the roller at the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DYK8TA/ref ... B001DYK8TA

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is interesting. I never would of guessed that a plow-style would not self launch using the type of roller setup you have. The idea of adding another roller is good one, but I do wonder how much higher than the first it would need to be? I looked at mine on the way out the door this morning - I didn't have a tape, but it appears to be about 3.5" to 4" higher than the front roller. One way to add that would be to simply bolt on some SS plate to raise the sides. However, maybe experiment a little... use the tongue jack to get your boat about level or slightly bow high, then lift the shank until the anchor drops. Add another .5 to 1" for good measure.

As far as the swivel getting jacked up... yeah, I think your idea is a sound one. Maybe use two bolts to better take up the space. But probably, if you tighten it down enough, one bolt should be enough. II think that's about all you can do... Or at least all I can think of, and I'd probably try the same thing.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone out there that has some pics of their roller assembly where their Delta self launches without need for a push? Would like to see that setup.
Guess I could consider making up a Starboard Wedge to fill the slot and make it flush with the surface of the pulpit, then mount a wider roller assembly that has the dual rollers for this type anchor. Not sure if I could find starboard this thick or not to make a wedge, but if not, guess I could make up one of of layers of ply with polyester resin, then gel coat it and it would fit better that way. Lewmar makes a nice dual roller assembly for this type of anchor that I would likely consider to try.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does the picture I posted above give a clear enough view? I can get one taken from a side view later today, if that would help.

Making a wedge... that's a good idea to be able to use a wider anchor roller. I wouldn't worry too much about the right thickness of starboard - you can always stack some combination of two pieces. Even if it was a bit high, it probably wouldn't matter too much. If you had to, you could either just take a belt sander to the pieces to thin them out, or add a starboard spacer to your windlass, if needed. One way to get the "wedge" to the exact height is to go ahead and install the pieces (countersunk screws or maybe just use a piece of drawer "non-slip" matting to keep them from moving). Then, cut a thin piece (1/8" or less) of cheap plastic/polycarbonate "windows" from Home Depot to protect the surrounding gelcoat. Use a cutout in the middle the size of the wedge. Using a belt sander, simply sand it down until you hit the polycarbonate. You could use a combination to non-slip stuff and washers to equal the thickness of the polycarbonate so when you're done, the wedge is the exact height of the "channel" you're filling.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ROBERTH said:
Anyone out there that has some pics of their roller assembly where their Delta self launches without need for a push? Would like to see that setup.
Lewmar makes a nice dual roller assembly for this type of anchor that I would likely consider to try.

See my post, with photos, on the first page of this thread.

Using a proper roller designed for the Delta anchor.

Drops on its own as soon as I release the windlass.

Brian

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In my case I do have the proper roller now but still have issues. I believe it it because the standard roller is too narrow and a larger one would solve the problem. I would have gotten a bigger roller when I bought the BRM 2 but I figured it would look weird overlapping that channel. Besides, Windline apparently designed the roller for my boat, taking into account the channel width, so you would figure it would work well. Apparently not.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys, had to go back an study the pics on a larger monitor.

Brian, what brand is your anchor roller assy? Is it the lewmar? The rollers are black and I think that Lewmar's are white?

Dennis, I see the width is quite a bit wider for sure. It would be ideal to get one wide enough to cover the width of the slot, so that after filling the wedge area, it would not be visible for junk to get down into it. Of course, could seal it with caulk. I think it would look good after done properly.

Will ponder on this a while and check the brands out there. I think the dual rollers are the way to go so that they put the anchor in the proper position. I will also get out there and do the test with a slight lift of the shank to see where/if it can start to move forward.
I don't see any way to put a roller under the shank as the assembly is so shallow, there is no place to put one unless it was a stand alone that would look funky I think.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
At one time, I had thought about converting to the thru pulpit design, but at this point, I am not willing to do serious modification. Thanks for the offer on it though, but one of the issues I am sure to have is clearing the winch post on the trailer. The existing pulpit setup now just barely clears it on some ramps.

I did some testing. If I lift the anchor shank up with slack chain, it will start to self launch. I measured the amount of lift just aft of where the shank begins to go straight and it was approx. 1.5" of lift to get it to take off.
With that said, I found a small size Fairlead roller that would give me the necessary lift. Problem is my existing channel is 2" outside width, and 1-3/4" inside width. Windline's smallest fairlead is exactly the same dimentions, so I can't mount this roller in the channel.
However, I think what I can do is make a small wedge to fit in the channel to allow the Fairlead roller to mount flush and make this work. Not sure how goofy this will look though..... :mrgreen:

I just placed an order for a narrow snag free shackle that will fit the anchor and be narrow enough for the roller. Suncor makes them where the pin is flush so there will not be a hang point.

So, I think I can fix the issue with the swivel getting bound up on the shank of the anchor with the shackle.
Outside of any other ideas in regards to the self launch, the roller is my only option to give the anchor some lift. This is not really too serious of an issue though as I have to go up front to remove the secure snap and chain lock. At this point, I found all I need to do is pull some chain out, enough to slide the anchor out enough to be at a semi launch position. I didn't know I could just lift that little lever and pull the chain up manually, so this is a good option now that I figured this out.
Then, the only other thing I have is the anchor coming in upside down. Guess the only thing that might help that is the shackle in some weird way, but if not, likely I need a wider roller and that would require a new anchor roller assembly and making a slot wedge.
Out of the 3 issues above, the first one is an easy fix. Second one is workable without mod. Third one is complete redesign so think I will try the first two and see where I land and if I get more frustrated, will then look to put a new wider anchor roller assy. on.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As I said, I tried the longer,narrow shackle with flush outside…didn't help as the anchor still pivoted to the wrong side ; I hope you have better luck. I might just have to sell my boat to end the frustration ! Actually, its getting kind of tight now that I've got 5 grandkids swarming all over it at times. Thinking that a dual console might fit my needs a little better now.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
yeah I understand.. I hope to at the least fix the problem where the swivel gets jammed on the anchor.overall this is much better and easier with the winch system then doing it manually...just wanted to see if there are some tweaks to help improve what I have already.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As spring is getting closer, I messed with anchor issues again. I made a new bail, taller now so it will come all the way up. Anchor misses touching pulpit so I am good there. It is approx. 1/4" clearance and does not seem to want to come up and crash into the pulpit so hoping no chip outs on the gelcoat.
Then, I played around with counter balance to get anchor to self launch. My last idea came out pretty nice.
I found some thin strips of lead so I could wrap it around the cross support bar. It only took 2 strips that were not much in total weight. A few ounces would be my guess. That is all it took. Now, if I let go of the anchor it will take off in a hurry.
I was and still am somewhat concerned with the counterbalance throwing off the ability for anchor to dig in, but can't foresee this small amount of weight being an issue in that I have an oversized anchor and 30' of chain in front of it when it is dragging. Will know when I drop it in the sand a few times when spring ever gets here and I splash.
Here is pic showing this mod. It went from anchor just sitting there to self launch with good force on it's own.

Attachments

• Anchor Counter Balance Weight.jpg
    Anchor Counter Balance Weight.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 618

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
As spring is getting closer, I messed with anchor issues again. I made a new bail, taller now so it will come all the way up. Anchor misses touching pulpit so I am good there. It is approx. 1/4" clearance and does not seem to want to come up and crash into the pulpit so hoping no chip outs on the gelcoat.
Then, I played around with counter balance to get anchor to self launch. My last idea came out pretty nice.
I found some thin strips of lead so I could wrap it around the cross support bar. It only took 2 strips that were not much in total weight. A few ounces would be my guess. That is all it took. Now, if I let go of the anchor it will take off in a hurry.
I was and still am somewhat concerned with the counterbalance throwing off the ability for anchor to dig in, but can't foresee this small amount of weight being an issue in that I have an oversized anchor and 30' of chain in front of it when it is dragging. Will know when I drop it in the sand a few times when spring ever gets here and I splash.
Here is pic showing this mod. It went from anchor just sitting there to self launch with good force on it's own.

What did you make the bail out of?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been purchasing the Stainless Strips from Speedy Metals. I then sand them down progressively beginning with 80, 120, 150, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and finish off with 1200, then polish it with wool pad and metal cutting polish.
It comes out like a mirror!
Then I measure length, cut, drill holes, round and finish edges.

This is the second one I have made. Seemed more work the second time, but not really hard to do. The measuring is the key to ensure holes line upon both sides evenly.

Added size I ordered for this last one. 18" length.
1/8" {A} x 3/4" {B} 316 Stainless Steel, Annealed & Pickled

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I have been purchasing the Stainless Strips from Speedy Metals. I then sand them down progressively beginning with 80, 120, 150, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and finish off with 1200, then polish it with wool pad and metal cutting polish.
It comes out like a mirror!
Then I measure length, cut, drill holes, round and finish edges.

This is the second one I have made. Seemed more work the second time, but not really hard to do. The measuring is the key to ensure holes line upon both sides evenly.

Added size I ordered for this last one. 18" length.
1/8" {A} x 3/4" {B} 316 Stainless Steel, Annealed & Pickled

Great ! Thanks for the info.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update to those with self launch issues on their setup.....I can now vouch that the additional ounces of lead added as shown in pic above works like a charm. I was able to test this weekend and it lauched with no effort and anchored perfectly. I even was at anchor long enough for the tide to change directions and the anchor stayed hooked, so seems this added weight is not a negative affect in staying hooked. Frustration level now is ZERO! :mrgreen:

Added to post since there are several posts with same issue, so might look duplicate if you see my same update on those posts as well. Just trying to be thorough for those in need.... :roll: