anchor tie off in bow

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a new windless on my 265 express and would like to know what ideas anyone has on tying off anchor rope in the bow. Just behind the windless is a retractable cleat with a rod that goes down and is bolted to back of front trailer eyelet. I do not think rope and chain are going in without being tangled. Removing the rod looks like the only way to clean this up. Yes,no?

seabob4

Reaction score
That rod is part of what's called a "lifting eye", allows the hull to support the boat when it is lifted, rather than the deck. I wouldn't get rid of it, if I were you...

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had called Grady today they said the rod has to come out to use the windless. The rod is suppose to stabilize the front cleat, however my front cleat is a retracting type which he said didn't come that way [retractable]. It doesn't have enough room to put the rode the way it is.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you also have a bow port and starboard cleat, you can use a chock to redirect the anchor line to either one while under anchor. I also use a stainless long S hook (one end closed) on 1/2 inch three strand to tie of the chain near anchor when anchor is on pulpit juts in case it wants to get loose whikle underway, same chock is used.

The chock you add or get another cleat and go off the centerline of the pulpit ahead of the wndlass and use it to tie off.

ONCLR Brian has photo of his setup that shows the added cleat, as I recall.

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes I have both cleats, starboard and port and will use those for tie off as you suggested. I didn't phrase my question very well,I was not able to get anchor rope and chain in locker because of the rod that went from top cleat behind windlass, to inside of the trailer eyelet. It pretty much blocks most of it. Was told by GW to remove it, so I took it out. Hope nothing falls off.........