Anchor windlass issue

trashpad

Reaction score
New to me 228 with a Simpson-Lawrence 500 windlass. The boat did not come with an anchor but the windless worked both ways. New anchor and rode installed and the first time I took it out to stretch it out the windless would not go down. I can hear something click and with out the rode on it, it will slowly move in the up direction when I hit down. I need to find my Fluke but wanted to see if there are any starting points to look at.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I had an issue with mine where it would operate coming up but would not go down. There is a troubleshooting scheme for the switch where you short across different connectors to isolate the problem and while I've not been able to find it again it did work for me to isolate that it was the switch itself which had gone bad, new switch from Amazon and I was back in business. If it worked in both directions previously and now doesn't, I'd start with ensuring you've got good voltage coming off your batteries, then check all your connections to ensure good power at the windlass, and then move on to the switch as a likely culprit. Good luck.

trashpad

Reaction score
Thanks Fowl, you got me searching around and found this on the net. Wanted to post it here for others to use. Not exactly what I need but getting close.

Attachments

• IdealWindlass_TROUBLESHOOTING.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Fowl Hooked