Anchor windlass speed

Deep Blue

Reaction score
On my 2003 Sailfish the windlass is a Horizon 500, I don't know if it's the original windlass but I'm not thrilled with it. One of the reasons is that it supposedly can raise the anchor at the rate of 62' a minute and whereas I haven't measured, I'd be willing to bet it's far short. The other issue is that it gags on the chain to rode splice, I use 35' of 1/4" chain and 500' of 8-plait. Maxwell Marine has some very good reviews, anyone use one?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The splice gets salted up and stiff over time. Good preventative maintenance is to wash the line once a year and use fabric softener. You can also try cutting about 5' off and resplicing or flipping end for end.

If you press on the finger and it helps, you can replace the finger spring. That's a normal thing to do every so often, as well.

You may have some dirty/rusty electrical connections, causing the motor to run slower. How 'bout your battery? Do you have the engine running while you're using the windlass?

Is that 62' per minute a 'no load' speed? I'm sure you know, but if you're trying to pull the boat with the windlass, that's no good.

seasick

Reaction score
Assuming it is original, it would be 17 or 18 years old.and it could be just plain worn out ( as far as the speed goes). The bearing and shaft may be worn and have extra drag. I can't comment on the gagging since I don't know what the line specs were. The gypsy may be worn but I doubt it would be advisable to rebuild it.
You can make sure that the wiring is in good shape, particularly the connections and switch/relay contacts. Any poor connections will cause the motor to run slow under load but wouldn't explain the line snagging. Does it always bind at the splice. What size is the rope?

seasick

Reaction score
Dennis,
It seems that you are often typing when I am but your posts sneak in first:)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2004 with the 500 Horizon. This is what I use and it works great with the windlass
1 × Lewmar Premium 3-Strand Anchor Rodes
Length: 1/2" x 300' with 15' of 1/4" G4 Chain

Deep Blue

Reaction score
The splice gets salted up and stiff over time. Good preventative maintenance is to wash the line once a year and use fabric softener. You can also try cutting about 5' off and resplicing or flipping end for end.

If you press on the finger and it helps, you can replace the finger spring. That's a normal thing to do every so often, as well.

You may have some dirty/rusty electrical connections, causing the motor to run slower. How 'bout your battery? Do you have the engine running while you're using the windlass?

Is that 62' per minute a 'no load' speed? I'm sure you know, but if you're trying to pull the boat with the windlass, that's no good.

Dennis,
the finger spring looks good, batteries (3) are brand new this summer, engines in neutral and running at 1000 rpm. I'm guessing 62'/min is a no load speed especially for what appears to be a lower priced model. We hover over the anchor, the rode or chain is straight down.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Assuming it is original, it would be 17 or 18 years old.and it could be just plain worn out ( as far as the speed goes). The bearing and shaft may be worn and have extra drag. I can't comment on the gagging since I don't know what the line specs were. The gypsy may be worn but I doubt it would be advisable to rebuild it.
You can make sure that the wiring is in good shape, particularly the connections and switch/relay contacts. Any poor connections will cause the motor to run slow under load but wouldn't explain the line snagging. Does it always bind at the splice. What size is the rope?

Yes, good suggestion to check the connections and contacts, I'll last out the summer (usually that runs into October). Rope is 1/2".

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis,
the finger spring looks good, batteries (3) are brand new this summer, engines in neutral and running at 1000 rpm. I'm guessing 62'/min is a no load speed especially for what appears to be a lower priced model. We hover over the anchor, the rode or chain is straight down.
OK, that all sounds good. Although it's hard to tell if the spring is good by just looking at it.

It won't help the speed, obviously, but a clean/soft splice should at least help it come through the windlass nicely.