Anchor windlass usage

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Guys I feel kinda dumb asking this

My new Grady has a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 500 electric windlass.

My questions are, how do I use it properly? After I deploy it and set it, should I wrap the rode around a cleat? I dont think I should depend on the winch itself holding the rode, but I am not sure.

And when bringing it in, should I first make sure its not fast to the bottom?

And when running, should I secure the anchor or will the windlass hold it?

how do you guys do it?

thanks

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I never use my windlass to hold the anchor line. It can shorten the life of the clutch. Use a cleat.

I usually retrieve the anchor by driving the boat slowly in the direction of the anchor to relieve the tension and the windlass soes the rest. If I fell it hung up I would recleat and use the boat to free it up.

We secure ours with a wire cable just to be safe. I saw one come of a few moths ago and it did some serious damage. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck!!

seasick

Reaction score
Although I agree with legend's comments 100% there are times when you may not want to follow the guidelines. One of the advantages of a windlass is not having to go to the bow to drop/retrieve an anchor.
If the seas are relatively calm, you can drop anchor and use the windlass to hold the line. If mooring, I would make sure the line is tied off.
At the same time, if the seas really act up and you need to pull anchor, I wouldn't recommend taking chances going to the bow if that exposes you to the danger of falling or going overboard.
You should always try to motor towards the anchor and perhaps past it to free it, don't try to use the windlass to break the anchor free

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are going to fret away the rode by the gypsy if you leave the weight of the boat against it. Look at the gypsy, it has teeth. Even if the water is calm where you anchor, another boat's wake places a huge force against the hull. Sure you can replace the rode as needed.

If you use the windlass to pull the boat forward against the anchor, or break free an anchor, the breaker will trip if you are lucky, and over time can be a short time, eventually the motor will self destruct. Sure you can buy a new motor.

If you find the breaker popping, you are doing it wrong. Doesn't mean you are doing it right if the breaker doesn't pop.

When you want to break free the anchor, power towards the anchor at a slight angle to the side and up current, use the windlass to pull in slack line only, when you get just about over anchor and no more slack, you continue moving the boat forward until the anchor breaks free, do this at the same angle so the rode is seen just off to the side of the boat by you, not under it for obvious reasons, then engines to neutral and use the windlass again to lift the weight of the rode and anchor all the way up.

Practice , practice , practice. I suggest you practice also going to the bow in a manner you don't fall off the boat, you need to learn how to do this, even in severe weather conditions, for other reasons. The worse it is, the lower you bend while moving (lower your center of gravity) to move, it is very easy to loose balance up there, so stay down low. And hold on to something like the hardtop frame that is above you, while moving, always. Kneel down at bow. Don't even think about standing up at the bow since you have nothing above you to hold on to.

Don't perceive going to the bow as a half assed way to do it, for instance, you need to secure the anchor with a secondary means while under way, in case it cuts loose, Grady provides a device to do it. So it means you need to disconnect it when ready to anchor.

Like docking a boat, you practice anchoring.

Good luck, happy anchoring!

LongTimeLoafer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bow Thruster Warning

In addition to the good previous comments, I's like to add a warning if you have a bow thruster. Do NOT use the bow thruster to adjust your angle of attack as you move forward to disengage the anchor. With enough slack on the anchor line, it is quite possible to suck the line into the bow thruster, causing all sorts of problems (bow thruster jams, line can't be removed without going overboard, anchor can't be pulled up).

Good luck!