Anchor Windlass

Blackbird

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of pulling up the anchor on my 283 Release. Has anyone out there installed a windlass on one of these (or a similar) models? It does not have a factory installed bow pulpit and is not pre-wired so I'm starting from scratch. What was involved with the installation? What windass did you select and for what reasons? How has it worked our for you? Any lessons learned that you can share?

Thanks

keith1313

Reaction score
windlass

post this under general discussions and you should get plenty of feedback I had a windlass put on my 232 when I got it but relied on my Grady dealer to put the right one on.....you should get plenty of knowldgable feed when you repost as I suggested.......... Good luch,,,,,,,,,there is nothing like a windlass

Potterbuilt

Reaction score
I have a bow pulpit on our 283 and love it!! Unfortunatley it was installed by GW up at the plant during construction. You could contact your local GW dealer and get the parts from them or get them from your local boat store. From the looks of it on ours, it shouldn't be too hard to install. If I'm not mistaken there should be a 6 GA. red wire already run to the bow for the windlass. Open the hatch and look for the coiled wire. Good Luck!!

Blackbird

Reaction score
windlass

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have the high bow rail or the low rail? Mine is the low one so I might have to consider that too.

Officemn

Reaction score
Windless

I purchased a 2007 257 last year. I didn't want the pulpit and had my GW dealer intall a Lewmar 700. They replaced the anchor locker door with a split door ordered from Grady. The port side of this door has a mounting area raised to accept the windless and is fixed. The starboard side of the door opens for access to the line.

If you want a pic let me know and I can email one. I don't know how to upload a pic on this forum.