Anchor won't drop on it's own?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 Sailfish with a windlass and I can't get the anchor to drop on it's own. The windlass works fine and pays out chain but the chain just piles up on the pulpit. All the anchor needs is a little push to get it to drop. The 2005 pulpit is a totally different design where the anchor goes through the pulpit instead of laying on top of it. I originally had a 14 lb. Delta plow anchor and recently bought a 22 lb. Delta plow anchor thinking the heavier anchor would do the trick. But it's the same. I'm thinking about buying a 2005 pulpit but assume that would be quite pricy. Doe's anyone else have this problem? Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Thanks, Bob

Renovator

Reaction score
Bob,
I have the '05 Sailfish and my plow anchor only self deploys about 50% of the time. It's not hard to run up to the bow and just kick it over when needed. We move around a bit while bottom fishing and I will bring it back up and leave just a little of the anchor out past the pulpit and it will drop fine from there. On my previous Shamrock I installed a Good Windlass and there pivoting boom and that baby was sweet! It self deployed every time, very good product although a little pricey. They will sell just the boom.
Ron

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Renovator said:
Bob,
I have the '05 Sailfish and my plow anchor only self deploys about 50% of the time. It's not hard to run up to the bow and just kick it over when needed. We move around a bit while bottom fishing and I will bring it back up and leave just a little of the anchor out past the pulpit and it will drop fine from there. On my previous Shamrock I installed a Good Windlass and there pivoting boom and that baby was sweet! It self deployed every time, very good product although a little pricey. They will sell just the boom.
Ron

Is your pulpit the newer design with the anchor running through it or the older style with tha anchor going out over the front of the pulpit?

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I had the same problem. My bow pulpit made by GW was made for a fluke anchor not a plow. I changed the bow roller to a lewmar bow roller with some mods which is made for a plow anchor. I do not have anymore problems deploying my anchor.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishin' Rod said:
I had the same problem. My bow pulpit made by GW was made for a fluke anchor not a plow. I changed the bow roller to a lewmar bow roller with some mods which is made for a plow anchor. I do not have anymore problems deploying my anchor.

Hey Fishin' Rod,

Is it possible that you could look for a model number or snap a picture or two and email them to me or post them? I frequently use the boat by myself and can't run up to the bow to kick the anchor free. If emailing is easier, (I don't know how to post a picture on here) I am including my email address. bobcococonst@aol.com

Thanks, Bob

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Here is a link for the Lewmar Bow Roller I used. Keep in mind that this bow roller was a good replacement for my Seafarer. I don't know if it will be the same bow roller for your Sailfish. Make sure you take measurements of your bow roller. GW has their bow rollers custom made. There were no stock replacement bow roller without any extra modifications to replace mine.
http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-supp ... oller.html

I also used a piece of Mahogany to take up the void between GW's bow roller and the bow pulpit. I was going to use Teak but to seal it with 5200 would not probably work due to the oils in the teak. With Mahogany there are no oils to be concerned with and Mahogany is pretty resilient to water.

I do not have any pictures of any the work I did and I don't think I could take any while my boat is in the water that could help you right now. If you still need the pics, PM me sometime after November, I pull my boat right after Thanksgiving.