Anchor

gsarria

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the anchor on my 2005 Grady White Marlin 300. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. I would also like to know if anybody knows which model of the Lewmar windlass a standard 2005 Grady White 300 would bring. Thank you!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I don't know what size anchor you need,but different styles of anchors hold better or worse depending on the type of substrate the bottom is comprised of, like sand, mud,rocky, hard clay,etc. First determine what kind of bottom you drop the hook most and then select the right anchor. Typically, "Dan forth" style works on a wide variety of bottom conditions.

fischer

Reaction score
I tried most of the different types of anchors on my 2005 Marlin and finally settled on a Rocna. Sets much faster and holds better than anything else I've tried. I've used it from St Pete to the Dry Tortugas and lower Keys and in some pretty hard blows. Sets fast everywhere and has yet to drag. I already had an "Anchor Saver" system, which I also highly recommend.

Windlass - I installed a Good Automatic Windlass when I got the boat a few years ago. Relocated it to the back emd of the locker. Works well, also highly recommend.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been very happy with my Delta anchor. Sticks and holds very well.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I don't know what size anchor you need,but different styles of anchors hold better or worse depending on the type of substrate the bottom is comprised of, like sand, mud,rocky, hard clay,etc. First determine what kind of bottom you drop the hook most and then select the right anchor. Typically, "Dan forth" style works on a wide variety of bottom conditions.

If you remember the Sunday am storm that came up at Fort Jefferson, my "damn forth" didn't hold at all - I have since gone to a Mantus which is either a knokoff or an improvement to the Rocna, depending on your point of view

bjflink

Reaction score
Just upgraded to a Fortress FX-16 on my 306....with 25' of 1/4" chain. Sets fast and doesnt budge a bit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have the same boat. I went with a Delta Fast Set 22lb (recommended for 30-40 foot boat) with 36' of chain. It has worked great for me.

Reactions: airmanjun10

freddy063

Reaction score
I agree added more chain will help any anchor hold tight, try that first before a new anchor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What type of anchor do you currently have (and rode) and what type of bottoms do you typically anchor in? There's really no "bad" anchor out there - all of them have their pluses and minuses and it really comes down to anchoring conditions and personal preference. I've used pretty much every type out there and I have yet to find one that is just plain "no good". Also keep in mind that not all anchor rollers work (well) with all types of anchors. Some are actually specifically designed for a certain type of anchor.

As noted, the first thing to do is to increase your scope. That's actually the most common mistake people make is that they don't let out enough scope for the conditions. VERY generally speaking, 5:1 is typical for average conditions. Sometimes less, sometimes more. You can TOTALLY anchor VERY securely with just rope, but chain makes it much easier and you don't have to let out as much scope.

I'm not sure about your windlass, but maybe it's the owners/parts manual? I think you can download it from Grady's website. If not, send Grady a note, with your HIN, and I'm sure they can tell you.

biggarfish

Reaction score
If you're usually anchoring in mud or sand your best bet will be a Bruce, sized appropriately for your boat. And make sure you go with extra chain. Worst case scenario if you're caught having to anchor out in a blow rig up a 20-30 lb. cannonball on a clevis or something and attach it where the chain meets the rope. That'll keep the chain on the bottom and you'll have no problems.

gsarria

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for their feedback. I went with Delta anchor.