Anchoring/Mooring

capeguy

Reaction score
Anyone used their anchor as a "backup" for a mooring? We have a mooring in an exposed section of Cape Cod Bay, where SW and NW winds can cause waves of 4 feet+. The mooring is a Helix and has been superb, I have had my 28' Sailfish on it in some pretty strong conditions no problem.

The problem is that I am going there by boat tomorrow for the first time this year and a family member who was there a few weeks back said the chain (1/2") is a little worn in parts, not badly worn, but a little. Makes me consider using my anchor as a backup to be safe.

Has anyone ever done this? I know many will repsond not to use it if it isn't 100%, I got it. But, there are not many other options other than a transient mooring in PTown, which while the safest, is highly inconvenient for us.

I was thinking of setting the anchor and leaving the rode loose so it is tight to the mooring. should it fail, the anchor will hold. Any drawbacks to that to consider?

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Unless the wind and current never change direction :roll: , then you may foul the ground tackle as the boat spins around. Not good as it could cause the anchor or mooring to pull free, or a "weak link" could break. Was the tackle checked all the way to the anchor?