anchoring question

wanderer200

Reaction score
I just junked my center console and replaced it with a 20 overniter. I fish most of the time alone. No problems anchoring in the center console except when it still had the rail, it was in just the right spot to be in the way, when it partially broke I removed it and anchoring was MUCH easier. Now I have a rail again AND a cuddy. I forsee a PITA with solo anchoring chores. Any suggestions?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A bow roller makes it tons easier. We use a 13lb danforth type, with 25' of 1/4" chain and 250' of 7/16" 3-strand. Doing it again I would get 1/2" rode, the smaller diameter is strong enough, but it's too hard to grip.

Easy to deploy and retrieve.

Some of us use the Seadog No2 like this:
10002F-p.jpg

There is plenty of deck core to thru-bolt one on the 208 - don't know for sure on the Overnighter.

wanderer200

Reaction score
I was looking at bow rollers but what about the front light? Can the roller be mounted off-center and will it stick out to block visibility of the lite on one side? I would like to keep the anchor in the locker and not secured to the roller when not in use. I was thinking of a roller without a bail. I also saw a duel roller set-up that said it mounts at the stern and says"helps in single person bow anchoring" but I can`t figure out how it works or where it would mount?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hmmm...evidently the front running light is a single unit in the center on your boat. The 208 has seperate port and starboard running lights that are set back from the bow along the gunnels. You could replace your running lights and cover up the center-mount light with the roller. Or the roller assembly could be mounted off-center as well. It definitely works better on center though. I added a line chock at the back of the roller plate to turn the line over to either cleat to tie off.

With a bow roller only, the anchor still stows in the locker. I assume the 'bail' is the pin that closes the roller? Or is that one of those wire loops that's supposed to hold an anchor? I don't use my pin. Otherwise I'm not sure about that.

If you had a roller at the stern you could let the rode out from the cockpit, then walk the line up to the bow to cleat it off. Otherwise I'm not sure how that works. Maybe you could send a link to product info on it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get the reliable retrieval float ball setup, and you don't have to go to the bow and pull it up from there, you can retrieve it from the cockpit as well as drop it from back there. The walkaround is too shallow and narrow to get a good fitting, just walk the line and anchor back to the cockpit. The retrieval ball will float the anchor (not your bback), pull it up over the gunnel at the cockpit, then you can walk it back up forwad for storage. If repositioning boat, keep the anchor in the cockpit.

When you drop it over the side, do it at the cockpit, then walk the line alone while still slack up to bow and tie off to bow cleat. Slack line is easy to move up and under the bow rail.

The bow rail will never get in your way using the gunnel area at the cockpit as described.