Another new GW owner with a simple query...

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Folks
Just purchased a 2006 GW 209 Escape with YAM 150; having it hauled up from South Carolina. On RIchmond Creek in Southold, on the North Fork. New to all this and GW; reading the manual, not yet hands on with the boat. I have a basic embarrassingly naive question. What is the difference between the "washdown operation" and the "cockpit shower fresh water system"? Educate me.
And thanks
B

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First, congrats on the new boat. "Washdown operation" should be your raw (sea) water washdown. Cockpit fresh water is, well, fresh water washdown or shower. You should have a water tank and a fill that says "water", looks the same as the "gas" fill. DO NOT confuse them.
Where in Southold ?

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
I am on Richmond Creek, on a quite little private road - Wood Lane - which is just off of Indian Neck Road. Indian Neck is about a 1/4 mile west of Peconic Lane. Bought the cottage in Sept, and been here every weekend since; it is a magical spot.
B

seasick

Reaction score
The fill for the fresh water is in the motor well, quite far from the fuel fill. The tank holds 10 gal. Add some household bleach,a few ounces, to each water fill up. That will help prevent the growth of scum that clogs up the filter quite quickly. You should clean the filter located on the pump a few times a season and adjust you cleaning schedule as you learn how often it needs to be cleaned. In the winter you need to drain the tank, add antifreeze ( the RV type not the auto type), run it through the system and then drain the shower hose. I disconnect the fittings from the pump to make sure that the water drains out of the hoses.
Enjoy your boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your new GW barretkatz.

Seasick,
I run the pink antifreeze through the system meaning turn the faucet on in the cabin and run the shower until I see pink. before doing this to winterize it, I run all the freshwater out of it and then fill the tank with antifreeze so it is 100% or as close to it as possible. I have a question. Why disconnect the shower hose if it is filled with antifreeze? The stuff goes down to minus 25F. I am just curious.

seasick

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Congrats on your new GW barretkatz.

Seasick,
I run the pink antifreeze through the system meaning turn the faucet on in the cabin and run the shower until I see pink. before doing this to winterize it, I run all the freshwater out of it and then fill the tank with antifreeze so it is 100% or as close to it as possible. I have a question. Why disconnect the shower hose if it is filled with antifreeze? The stuff goes down to minus 25F. I am just curious.

Just being paranoid. I don't know how easily the antifreeze mixes in the hose with the standing water. Since my hose when stowed has a loop lower than the pump, I disconnect the hose and lay the end in the bilge so that is can drain. The instructions that came with my latest shurflow pump also recommended disconnecting the lines and giving the pump a short run to empty the pump chamber.
Probably overkill.