Another one for my collection

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This is boat related and something fun so I figured I’d share this.
I like cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and everything old, particularly petroliana. Living in NJ I keep my eye out for old unique license plates mainly from my state. My favorite are the early license plates for boats. They are about the size as motorcycle plates but bike plates don’t have the “BL” (boat license) over “NJ”. Yup, back in the day boats had license plates. ;) I put them on the beams in my barn which is as much my shop as it is my man cave. :)
Got this one today...
E3AE37FB-6D1C-4D7C-B891-46B7D569E810.jpeg
If it were a motorcycle plate it would read “1736NJ60”
The last two digits “60” are the year of issue.
Edit: I have to correct myself, the Early bike plateS have “NJ” over the year...
4956D24E-FE7F-480A-A090-5C3548AB2ADF.jpeg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't know that. Thanks for the history lesson

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I didn't know that. Thanks for the history lesson
It’s fun and adds to the atmosphere. I also grab up old nautical/boat lamps when I find them. Over my work bench is a switch dedicated to the neon lamps, ship lamps, lamps highlight ing signs and traffic lamps.
Not overly bright but enough to enjoy as I relax by my wood stove out there listening to my Bose sound dock. ;)
Couldn’t go with plywood on the workbench, built it as butcher block. From working on vehicle parts, boat parts, cleaning firearms, fishing gear, etc...
It’s relaxing and puts me in the right mindset to do a proper job.
Oh and the lamps are all LED. The lamps over the bench glared in the eyes so I needed some kind of shade. Frilly shades in a “man” cave? Oh no. I went with antique two man saw blades. :)
I have a weathered teak dash out of a little Aquasport with destroyer wheel and gauges that I’m going to wire up so they are illuminated when I flip the switch, gotta find wall space too.
B362DE9C-0932-4911-866B-9AD6D3DD6A02.jpeg
D37ED83E-A1B9-4678-BB28-25B019AB8B8A.jpeg
E28B9971-F9BF-4E73-8F69-4B8CA371261F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

seasick

Reaction score
Looks great!
I would be embarrassed to show my work area. I have too many tools, mostly woodworking. I have them shoved into every corner and have to move some around to get to them. I don't do much furniture making these days and probably don't need some of the equipment but it is hard to let go:)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looks great!
I would be embarrassed to show my work area. I have too many tools, mostly woodworking. I have them shoved into every corner and have to move some around to get to them. I don't do much furniture making these days and probably don't need some of the equipment but it is hard to let go:)
Don’t feel bad, I have my truck apart in there for a frame off, and my motorcycle apart on a lift for a number of things so “it’s not so tidy” at the moment. I have a long que line of restoration projects.
The barn looks it’s best between them. ;)