Another Seastar Question

Shutterbug

Reaction score
My hydraulic steering is not as responsive as it should be, some free play, just not the tight and firm steering it once was. Helm pump is approx 12yrs old, hydraulic lines 2 yrs, and steering cylinder is 22 yrs.
Have no leaks and no air in lines.

My thought is that it's the helm pump. I've been told to check the cylinder for a faulty O ring on the center of the rod. O ring keeps the h.oil in each line seperate therefore more responsive steering.

I've looked at seastars website, exploded schematics and talked to the shop I deal with. Can't get a for sure answer. If so it sure appears to me to be much less expensive route or I'd hate to pay $400-500 for a helm pump if it were a .10 O ring. Anyone have any dealings with such as this? Thanks

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The internal cylinder seal isn't serviceable in the field. Try this before spending big bucks: put the boat on plane, then start a a steady turn. With hands off the wheel, the turn should continue. If the center seal is at fault, unequal cylinder pressures should slowly equalize (turn straightens out on it's own) ... :?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seastar

How smooth / easy should the steeering be with the motors down and out of gear?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Seastar

Hookup1 said:
How smooth / easy should the steeering be with the motors down and out of gear?

one finger next to a spoke and you should be able to go lock-to-lock.

shift finger to the other side of the spoke and rotate all the way to the other lock.