Another Viny Trim Question

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have had great success using 4200 quick cure for regluing the vinyl trim in places where I can use clamps, etc. Having a real problem with the "inside" curves on the aft deck of my 272, especially the curves around the aft seat/battery access hatch. The trim is 4-5 years old and continues to come loose on the inside curves as the trim ages and stiffens slightly. Can't really use clamps in this area.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than using a screw and finish washer to hold it in place?? :bang

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know if any glue is really going to hold something like that - but I suppose it's at least worth a try. To keep the piece in place while it dries, cut a a piece of 2x and jam it into pace from the opposite side of the boat or from a suitable location. You can shape the end of the 2x (if needed) to closely match the inside curve radius.

Edit: Forgot to add... One of the challenges you're up against is that this stuff can shrink over time and it usually becomes first noticeable at inside radii. You might find that gently heating it will help it conform better into the corner and "possibly" stretch it a bit. But it's still a gamble as to whether it will really work - or at least how well it will work. If you can steal some length from one end or the other (a less noticeable spot, maybe?), that will help, too.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another suggestion is to drill a few pinholes near the corners and use a small piece of stainless airplane wire to lock it into place while the 5200 underneath can set. It is like a stainless bread tie. Glass and trim must be cleaned with acetone. Twist the wire tight with needle nose n tuck the twist under for cosmetics. I keep a roll of it on my boat at all times. Very handy.