Antenea

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
last year I posted about this antenna wondering what would be a good replacement but it was determined that this was actually good high end model so I decided to stay with it.
Now I was going to give it a fresh coat of white epoxy and found a 4” crack running vertically. It’s small but I wonder if it says there’s corrosion underneath in the copper windings? :(
Not looking for a reason to swap it out but this doesn’t seem good.

ECB19074-1A9D-4E71-B9DD-A23C6227F162.jpeg
0F9DB34C-F29C-47E9-BB5E-E81A854A6F10.jpeg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
You can't tell by looking at it right now. The crack may or may not cause moisture to get in. Depending on where you keep your boat, the crack may be stable or may end up with more damage due to freeze thaw cycles. Unless you use a SWR meter, you can't tell is the signal has degraded either. Assuming it works, the signal could still be reduced.

I would keep my eye out for sales on antennas and if a deal pops up, replace it.
On a different note, that is one long antenna. Do you know if the entire length is an active element or just the top section. In that case, the crack may be much less of an issue if it is in the lower section.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You can't tell by looking at it right now. The crack may or may not cause moisture to get in. Depending on where you keep your boat, the crack may be stable or may end up with more damage due to freeze thaw cycles. Unless you use a SWR meter, you can't tell is the signal has degraded either. Assuming it works, the signal could still be reduced.

I would keep my eye out for sales on antennas and if a deal pops up, replace it.
On a different note, that is one long antenna. Do you know if the entire length is an active element or just the top section. In that case, the crack may be much less of an issue if it is in the lower section.
It’s a 9’ antenna and no I don’t know if it’s entire length is active.
I’ll have to check into that.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm almost certain that the lower part is just an extension rather than an active antenna. I cracked one open many years ago that looked a lot like yours. It was hollow and contained only an insulated coax cable that ran up to the junction where the tip is connected. The junction looked like a coaxial choke, which would suggest that the cable running through the lower part of the antenna is not designed to transmit or receive. Check with Galaxy for sure, but I'd bet that crack can just be sealed without affecting performance.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Cool thank you.
White heat shrink ?
Where can I find white and this is at least 1” diameter ?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Google is your friend. Here is the first one to pop up, a 4 foot length.

Found some on eBay too. Guessing it’s got a dull finish though. Guess that doesn’t matter.