Any 330 owners with freefall windlass operation problems?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2002 330 with the original Lewmar Horizion 600FF windlass. I've had the boat about seven years & it came with 3 strand twisted rode. For the first 4 years I had to continuously manually handle the rode as it would free fall or the rode would kink and jam the gypsy.

About 2 years ago I was following a thread on THT regarding issues with anchor rodes and windlasses. The consensus seemed to be that the kinking of the rode was a common issue with 3 strand rode and the solutions were to first try to soften the rode by soaking in a fabric softener solution and if not successful to change to 8 plait rode which by design is softer and is not supposed to kink. I changed to an anchor line that consists of 30 feet of 1/4" BBB chain connected to 300' of 1/2" 8 plait rode. I also added a ($100+) swivel between the anchor and the chain to hopefully eliminate any twisting of the rode.

I'm still having the same issues. Last week I was bottom fishing in the GOM and when I put the windlass into free fall, I drifted 765' off of my spot while I cleared a jammed line in the gypsy. Is it the way the line falls into the anchor locker, nature of the Horizion 600FF or possibly the line is twisting even with the swivel??

I realize it's a guessing game without seeing the actual conditions but if other owners are not having the problem or if you have solved the same issue, I'm hoping you can provide some insight.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: Any 330 owners with freefall windlass operation problems

It sounds like you're pretty confident that the issue is a twisted line. All lines can twist up over time - that's not uncommon. It's also a good idea to make it a habit of washing the line a few times a year. If you have good access to the line while it's in the locker, you can do it there. If not, just pull it out and put it in a bucket on deck and rinse real well.

Now, when it does start to twist up, here's what you can do: There's any number of ways you can empty the locker, but the general idea is to get all the line (rope) out and tie it off to a rear cleat (the point where the chain and rope meet). The get up on plane and take a ride while letting the line out behind you. Once it's fully out, trailing behind you, it will untwist itself.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

DennisG01 said:
It sounds like you're pretty confident that the issue is a twisted line. All lines can twist up over time - that's not uncommon. It's also a good idea to make it a habit of washing the line a few times a year. If you have good access to the line while it's in the locker, you can do it there. If not, just pull it out and put it in a bucket on deck and rinse real well.

Now, when it does start to twist up, here's what you can do: There's any number of ways you can empty the locker, but the general idea is to get all the line (rope) out and tie it off to a rear cleat (the point where the chain and rope meet). The get up on plane and take a ride while letting the line out behind you. Once it's fully out, trailing behind you, it will untwist itself.

Dennis - thanks for the tip on untwisting the line, I hadn't thought about doing it that way. Any suggestions on how to ensure that the swivel is actually swiveling?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Jeff, I don't think there's really any surefire way to know if the swivel is swiveling... short of attaching a camera to the line above it. I think all you can do is check it out while in your hands and if it seems OK, that's about all you can hope for. It's not like these swivels are made with precision roller bearings, you know? Depending on water clarity, you MAY be able to see a little bit - if the chain is turning as it winds up, but the anchor is not... or take a deep breath and dive in!

I first started using that trick to untwist ski ropes - hold the handle in my hand on the boat, throw the rest overboard and in 30 seconds it's all good.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I have the exact same windlass on my 2003 330 express. I had horrible problems with the 3-strand, but since I switched to 8-plait it's been much better. I still get an occasional jam though. One huge help is that I installed a wireless remote (see this thread: http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=24327 ). Now if it does jam, at least I can free it up at bow by myself...

I think the problem is that there's not enough vertical height in the locker between where the rode enters and the bottom of the locker at that point -- it would have been better if the rode fell further aft. If I think of it, I'll push the main bundle of rode back deeper which allows more distance for the rode to fall and fold into the locker...

Did your new rode come on a spool? If so, is it possible you pulled it off "sideways" so it's essentially pre-twisted? Definitely getting it twist-free is critical.

Mr.crab

Reaction score

Had same problem went to 300’ all chain in 1994 25 Sailfish works great, will be installing it
in the Marlin.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Just a side question... Based on what you said about the remote, Everwhom, it sounds like you don't have foot operated switches at the bow? Do Grady's not come with those as a standard feature?

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I think they added the foot switches from around 2004 or 2005. Kind of weird that they skipped them before!

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

everwhom said:
I have the exact same windlass on my 2003 330 express. I had horrible problems with the 3-strand, but since I switched to 8-plait it's been much better. I still get an occasional jam though. One huge help is that I installed a wireless remote (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24327 ). Now if it does jam, at least I can free it up at bow by myself...

I think the problem is that there's not enough vertical height in the locker between where the rode enters and the bottom of the locker at that point -- it would have been better if the rode fell further aft. If I think of it, I'll push the main bundle of rode back deeper which allows more distance for the rode to fall and fold into the locker...

Everwhom - About 5 years ago I had a wired handheld remote added to the bow, it has about 4' of coiled wire that connects inside the anchor locker (I keep it in the helm footrest storage area when not in use) before I added this remote it was a royal PITA to deploy the anchor. It still takes two people to set the anchor as it needs to be tied off to a cleat so it doesn't put too much pressure on the windlass.

Last week I fished on a friend's boat and he has a drum windlass, which looks kind of clunky but he never has to go to the bow as it's designed to launch the anchor, keep full pressure while at anchor and then retrieve anchor all from the helm. For whatever reason it seems like the drum windlasses are quite popular in Australia with the better units being manufactured there, as well as knockoffs from China.

Next time I am down at the boat I am going to try Dennis's suggestion for untwisting the rode and then see if I can fabricate some type of guide that will direct the line towards the aft end of the anchor locker - I have a feeling that a major part of the problem is the line piling up directly under the windlass discharge hole - I will report back but unfortunately it will be a few weeks before I get back to the boat.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

I have a 2003 330 Express with the Horizon 600 FF windlass. Along the way, I changed my old three strand line to the very expensive 8 plait line, thinking I would be getting the best and strongest line. BIG MISTAKE. The 8 plait stretches too much and would slip at the gypsy and bunch up easily. I finally got advice from someone who knew their stuff and changed the line to mega plait (less expensive than the 8 plait - both lines were purchased at West Marine) and the change was HUGE. No more slipping at the gypsy and the line laid down very nicely into the anchor locker. Don't get me wrong - I still am at the windlass while the helm operator raises the anchor. I do get a very occasional bunching up of line where it enters the locker and I quickly use hand signals to stop the retrieve and straighten the line out before it jams tight. But I want to stress - the mega plait line was a HUGE improvement over the 8 plait.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Interesting experience on the 8-plait... Did you pre-soak it first? Somewhere I read that you have to soak the line well first and then power-load it through the windlass. That's what I did and I've never had any problems with it. I got mine directly from Seco South which I believe is the OEM mfg for Lewmar/Horizon. They have great deals on ebay...

Fishtales

Reaction score

everwhom said:
I think they added the foot switches from around 2004 or 2005. Kind of weird that they skipped them before!

Later than that. I'd say around 2009.

georgemjr

Reaction score

I had factory foot switches on my 06 and now my 07, so it was definitely as early as those years.

Bayhouse

Reaction score

IMHO, the problem - as indicated above - is the vertical drop into the locker. My stock windlass dropped too far forward and knots were common. Added a Good windlass mounted further back and much improved.