Any advice to repair interior liner crack? (with photo)

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This liner crack above the port window has been there since I boat the boat about two years ago. It does not appear to be expanding. Anyone have experience of a fix that that will stop any future expansion and still look reasonably okay?

My current thought is to have home depot do their best to color match some paint from the photo. Then place a vinyl patch with 5200. Lastly, use the paint and feather it out to match surrounding as best as I can. Problem is surrounding isn't uniform color due to fading. More in some areas that others.

But the crack needs to be covered and reinforced.

Tx, Rob

Liner crack.jpg

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I would drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack to keep it from growing, put a strip of white gorilla tape over the crack and then prop a small pillow on that shelf to hide the tape.

But that's just me cause I'm kinda lazy about cosmetics. You went two years so you it seems you aren't maniacal about cosmetics either.

Reactions: Ripple and Holokai

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would call Grady White customer service and see what they recommend. See what they say, nothing ventured nothing gained. If you bought the boat new, they may send a team out to fix it.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, it's an older, hardly used, but just sat in the weather for 14 years. I like the idea of drilling a 1/8" hole. If that has a chance of stopping the crack, it's worth a try. I've had Gorilla Tape over it for nearly two years, but want to deal with it in some way.

My house has vinyl siding. I'll try to repair this the same way. But I know I'll never get a decent color match.

Rob

Punch53

Reaction score
A guy by me has a 15 year old Marlin. Grady fixed it no charge

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
FWIW, I backed all of my headliner screws out a quarter turn. My thought is it might reduce stress from over torqued fasteners and give the liner some room to move before cracking.
As for a fix, Grady contracts it out to someone. Question is what will they charge to fix it? Grady is known to help out original owners for repairs. Otherwise, you're on your own dime.