Any Experience with Catalano & Sons in CT

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
This dealer has a boat for on brokerage I am interested in. I talked to the salesman earlier in the summer and had the typical questions, mid sections on the Yamahas, etc. They were adamant this boat doesn't need mid sections due to the hours and they have never been scoped but we all know that isn't always the case. The salesman also said they were firm on price.

There was a listed price drop but the dealer is not responding. I am going to try calling again tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone uses them or maybe is even familiar with the boat itself or its owner, "Miss Maizi" in Greenwich, CT. I figured it was documented but it does not show on the USCG site.

Andrew

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
It would help if you added some info about the engines. I had twin 2007 F250's on a boat and they did not have exhaust issues. There was a cutoff in late 2006/2007 models where the issue was improved. My engines had 500+ hours with no exhaust issues.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
It would help if you added some info about the engines. I had twin 2007 F250's on a boat and they did not have exhaust issues. There was a cutoff in late 2006/2007 models where the issue was improved. My engines had 500+ hours with no exhaust issues.
Boat is a 2001 with 2004 F225's. In my opinion all Yamaha's have potential corrosion issues, I had 2007 F150's that were shot beyond repair and have seen posts of newer with issues still. I know not all of the motors are effected, but the dealers lack of even acknowledging the potential issue was unexpected from a Grady dealer. I was more curious on the dealer itself, sounds like a small place and if anyone here actually knows of the actual boat/owner.

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a great experience with Catalano in CT. I purchased a 2003 GW 282 Sailfish with twin 225s. Engines had 750 hours when i bought the boat. Catalano was the servicing dealer for the prior owner and had records to show that the exhaust work had been done. I still paid them prior to my closing the deal to have both engines inspected where the thermostats go into the block. both checked out good and i had them replace the thermostats while things wer apart. they were very forthcoming with the details. Boat is running great after 3 years.

Highly recommend spending a few dollars pre-sale to make sure you don't end up with a couple of mooring blocks at $25K a piece. Good Luck

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I believe the 2004 era 225's were in the thick of the exhaust leg corrosion issues. Either the salesman is clueless or is simply denying the issue due to his lack of response. If they have not been done already, those mid-sections should be changed out. From what I have read elsewhere, a simple scoping will not always identify the rot. But, if one removes the powerhead for a better exam, might as well replace the exhaust and oil pump while you are in there.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had 04 F225's - they were great engines had them scoped every other year and the last time they were both junk due to corrosion into the power head, Funny thing they were running perfectly including the day of scope. The mechanic said they would start overheating and get progressively worse, Do not buy if the exhaust has not been done or negotiate the cost into your deal.

Reactions: Rustygaff

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used Catalano to replace all my thru-hulls last season, partially on recommendation from this forum. They were professional and quick.

fredfromy

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Catalano is in my opinion the best Grady dealer on the east coast. Phil is professional and a gentleman as well.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Catalano is one of my local Grady dealers. Although I never bought a boat from them, they have always been helpful with service questions and parts.

Reactions: Bread

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased my ‘03 330 Express from them in 2016. It had been the service manager’s boat (one of the “sons” as I recall). They were great to work with!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
As an update, we did go down and look at the boat. Phil was great and they seemed like a great dealer that really cares about their customers. We were not ready to make an offer on the boat we saw, but we will defiantly be keeping it in mind

Andrew

Reactions: blynch

georgemjr

Reaction score
Just to beat the exhaust corrosion to death, Tikicharter, I also have '07 F250s. I also thought this was after they had corrected their coating or materials. As it turns out, that isn't the case. Yamaha materials beyond just the mids are failing all over the place, across a much greater number of years than originally though, beyond just the F225 and F250s. I did mine this past winter. Once was completely toasted one was perfect. Go figure.