Any idea of cost and install of GW hardtop on Gulfstream?

calimarie

Reaction score
Greetings all! I just purchased a 2007 GW Gulfstream with a soft top. Would like to have a Grady hardtop installed. Any ideas of acquisition and install cost range? Thanks much!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Calimarie, Congraulations on your new boat. The Gulfsteam is a fine model and very big for a 23 footer. I fished one for a couple of years with a friend. Just shootin' from the hip a factory HT is gonna be between......4500.00 and 6500.00 :shock: As best I can remember its around 6 large as an option on most models.
That's a large expense but worth every penny in my mind .

232 GULF

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Gulfstream and agree w/RAINMAKER that the hardtop is worth every dime. You'll also get more space to put electronics overhead, among many other things. Couldn't imagine my boat without it. Take the plunge! :D

richie rich

Reaction score
Calimarie, go to the boat show in Boston thats coming up at the expo center....there are usually a few guys there that make T Tops and hardtops and you can make a deal.......I recall $2500, but it was years ago....

calimarie

Reaction score
GW Hardtop

Hi Gang, really appreciate your kind wishes and advice. I agree (so does the wife if you can believe that!) that the hardtop is the way to go. Yes, I will be attending the upcoming Boston show. Atlantic Tower usually has agressive pricing vs. OEM hardtop. I just worry about resale down the road with a non GW hardtop. Then again, I could be enjoying the "resale value" up front. I will keep you briefed. Thanks again for your kind input. :D

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Redman Marine should be at the Boston show. They are out of Maine, I had them build me a top for my Gulfstream last year. Beautiful job,shipped to me in Illinois, installed my self, fit perfect! It just took longer to get than I liked but it was worth the wait. He has a picture of my top on his web site. I think his design is better than factory. He is worth a look. Joe

Pete1313

Reaction score
I just priced it from the fabricator who makes them for grady - depending on options (prewiring for electronics, lights etc) top of hte line, all options will cost you around $7500.

How much was your hardtop from Redman Marine? I like the look of the top they did for you!

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Base price quote was something like $4650, I added 10 rocket launchers, total ended up around $5680 plus shipping. The only thing thing that soured the whole deal was waiting like 10 months. But I think there was some confusion because of the extra width of the Gulfstream. But all in all the welds on the pipes and the fiberglass job,(color match) molded in electronics box is second to none! Joe.

calimarie

Reaction score
GW hardtop

Hi gang! Thanks to all of you very much for your kind comments and vendor suggestions for me to evaluate. I can see that the GW hardtop issue hits a chord with lots of folks! I will post my findings from the upcoming boat show for all of you to view.
I apologize in not replying to each of you individually.
We are getting ready to be hit with a pretty good snow storm. Boy, we are still a ways off from launching boats here... Thank God for web sites like this! Take good care every one. Thanks again very much. :D

Bokat

Reaction score
Calimarie,

I did the same thing you are thinking about. I bought a 93' Gulfstream in 2002 and used it for a year with a soft top. In 2003 I had a fabricator build a hard top for me. I wanted it built just like the factory top but 3" taller so I chose a fabricator located in the same town as a Grady dealer with a Gulfstream on their lot. The fabricator made several trips to the dealer to take measurements and to make sure they got it right. It turned out very nice and as I remember cost about $6000. That didn't include a removable simple tower or observation stand on top, Taco outriggers and 3 sided eisenglass enclosure. It really is a great addition, you will not be sorry.

jellyfish

Reaction score
MAKE SURE YOU go with someone who has done them for Grady before. worst thing you can do is be an oddball with your Grady and at resale it will hurt as well. Get us some before and after pictures. CONGRATS!

3rd Day

Reaction score
The hardtop is the way to go. It really makes the boat and I love staying dry when it rains. As suggested, I would put the correct top on the boat as far as resale is concerned. But wait a minute, you may not want to let her go!!! Good luck and good fishing.

calimarie

Reaction score
GW Hardtop

Bokat said:
Calimarie,

I did the same thing you are thinking about. I bought a 93' Gulfstream in 2002 and used it for a year with a soft top. In 2003 I had a fabricator build a hard top for me. I wanted it built just like the factory top but 3" taller so I chose a fabricator located in the same town as a Grady dealer with a Gulfstream on their lot. The fabricator made several trips to the dealer to take measurements and to make sure they got it right. It turned out very nice and as I remember cost about $6000. That didn't include a removable simple tower or observation stand on top, Taco outriggers and 3 sided eisenglass enclosure. It really is a great addition, you will not be sorry.

Thanks very much for your kind response and great image (sweet looking Gulfstream) Good to see that someone was in exactly my same situation,
I am going to go for it at the end of the season. I will post some before and after images for you and the rest of the good folks that have provided kind advice/comments. Thanks again very much for sharing your experience and that great shot of your Grady, Have a great season!

calimarie

Reaction score
GW Hardtop

Thanks very much everyone for your great and much appreciated suggestions and counsel. I am ready to take the plunge with the hardtop and will post images when done! See you out on the water,

richie rich

Reaction score
Bokat, do you recall how your top was made, ie Balsa core, Foam, Marine ply etc? Did it include an electronics box? Is it finished one side or both sides? Gelcoat or paint? Based on some of the responses, prices can vary significantly.