Any issues with installing thru-hull in forward fuel hatch?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Planning on installing a thru-hull/sea water valve in the forward fuel tank compartment for my electronic head (my forward compartment is empty). Only issues I can think of would be not getting water to the head while the boat is on plane (I wouldn't be using the head while running the boat anyway) and possibly the thru-hull creating turbulence and throwing off my rear transducer (thru-hull mounted in rear).

I would mount the thru-hull on the opposite side of the boat that my ducer is on just to be safe. I was originally going to run my head off my rear washdown intake but running a hose from the stern compartment to the inside of the cabin doesn't look too easy.

Can anyone think of any other issues I might be overlooking? By the way this is for a 88' 24' Grady Offshore.

Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: Any issues with installing thru-hull in forward fuel hat

I can't think of any issues with what you're planning. But, I would rethink your process and go back to your initial idea of using the washdown. You could run the hose under one of gunnels and into the cabin, but then it's a bit of chore (1) to get it there and (2) to hide the hose when it enters the cabin. Why not just route the hose through the center bulkheads into the cabin? You'd want to fill the gaps with silicone (at least the cabin bulkhead) to keep fumes/smells from transferring from the cockpit compartments into the cabin, but other than that it should be pretty straight forward.

Or, throw a porta-potti in there and be done with it. Does the head get used a lot? Keep in mind that you have to be a certain distance offshore for discharge. Regardless, don't forget that you'll also need a separate shut-off valve for the head and keep it in a "disabled" state when in no-discharge zones.

A more environmentally-friendly option would be to add a head holding tank in that unused cockpit floor compartment. Just a thought.

jbrinch88

Reaction score

DennisG01 said:
I can't think of any issues with what you're planning. But, I would rethink your process and go back to your initial idea of using the washdown. You could run the hose under one of gunnels and into the cabin, but then it's a bit of chore (1) to get it there and (2) to hide the hose when it enters the cabin. Why not just route the hose through the center bulkheads into the cabin? You'd want to fill the gaps with silicone (at least the cabin bulkhead) to keep fumes/smells from transferring from the cockpit compartments into the cabin, but other than that it should be pretty straight forward.

Or, throw a porta-potti in there and be done with it. Does the head get used a lot? Keep in mind that you have to be a certain distance offshore for discharge. Regardless, don't forget that you'll also need a separate shut-off valve for the head and keep it in a "disabled" state when in no-discharge zones.

A more environmentally-friendly option would be to add a head holding tank in that unused cockpit floor compartment. Just a thought.

I should have mentioned in my original post that I was planning on installing a 10-20 gallon holding tank in the forward hatch as well. The marina I work at/keep my boat at has a pump out so I will most likely not even install a macerator/discharge. Just another hole in the boat I don't want and another pump to service.

I feel that it is a fairly long run from the stern compartment to the cabin (especially if I went up into the gunnel) and would probably need to put in a check valve somewhere. Not sure (because I haven't looked to see how much room) on running the hose through the center of the boat into the cabin. I'd have to see how much room there is in my rear fuel tank compartment. I honestly thought it would just be easier to install another intake further forward in that giant empty space and have to run less hose.

I didn't get to use the boat long enough this season, but I know that the head will be used quite often. I just hate having to empty the potti/buckets after each trip. I know my gf's friends will be more comfortable on the boat knowing the head is setup closer to a household bathroom than just a bucket (and let's face it, unfortunately that is an important factor).

Not sure on which thru-hull to install either. I put one of these in for my rear intake (washdown) and was planning to do the same for the forward one (think mine was 1")

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/groco-sc ... HwodxPkM6w

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

jbrinch88 said:
I know my gf's friends will be more comfortable on the boat knowing the head is setup closer to a household bathroom than just a bucket (and let's face it, unfortunately that is an important factor).

Well that right there is definitely the most important statement!!! :)

I have no reservations about punching another hole in the bottom of a boat (as I'm sure you don't, as well). But if I can accomplish the same goal without another hole, then I would always try to make that work, first. I can't imagine there being any issues running a 1" hose over the gas tank - there should be plenty of between the tank and hatch cover for that. I don't think the distance will be an issue - it's not like you're lifting the water vertically very far. I'd really encourage you to rethink this and try using the existing thru-hull -- but of course, it's your rig and do what feels best for you - your plan of attack for the installation of a new thru-hull is sound.

The "strainer" style thru-hull you linked is perfect. Don't forget another filter (another added cost that you wouldn't need if you used the existing setup).