any opinions would be appreciated

jimmyL

Reaction score
I'm possible looking to purchase my first Grady. it's a 92 sailfish with a 7.4 fwc Mercruiser I/O. When I think of Grady's I'm always thinking of outboards. any opinion on this setup? Anything I should look for?
thanks in advance
Jimmy

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jimmy.

The I/O's were an odd one. I suppose a diesel conversion would make for an economical runner.

I don't like that the engine sits in the middle of the cockpit. Either move it up under the helm like Albamarle, or put it under the floor in an inboard. JMHO.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have not been on a sailfish I/O. Typically most I/O Grady's were much slowe rthen the outboard counterparts, but most did benefit from better fuel economy. The down side to an I/O is the loss of cockpit space and having to work around an engine box, to some it is not a problem, to others it is a huge pain. Personally I hate anything across the transom...engine boxes, seats, euro transoms with livewells and fish boxes. I want a clean transom with nothing or just a center mounted kill box or livewell that does not extend more then the middle of the cockpit. As far as ride, I have been on a few I/O Grady's and they all ran with a more level trim then their comparable outboard models, good for efficiency, but not always for ride. Moving weight forward in the boat though, does improve ride, so trim might not be ideal, but weight location is improved, so in certain conditions the I/O version will ride better and in others worse. I/O versions typically have more vibration due to the engine mounting and location, to some not a problem to others they hate it. an I/O is a great engine to work on for those who are handy, they are similar to car engines, if your not going to do much work yourself there is no benefit IMHO. I personally would not want to have to worry about a boot and joint all the time, I see guys in my marina always replacing them or having problems, but some guys love them and get tons of use out of them. They are not for me but some like them. As far as a single on a sailfish, going to be a pain to dock and manuveur in tight quarters, you will not have a ton of control, ideally anything this size should have twins when feasible.

The big question is are you ok with an I/O, some love them others hate them and would not go near them. If your comfortable with an I/O, the boat should not be a bad one, but would still require a sea trial. If you are more used to outboards, chances are you will not care for the I/O setup. Personally the only I/O setup I've ever considered was a jackshaft setup where the engine is more forward where weight is ideal for ride, and where it eliminates an engine box at the transom, although I personally will not buy an I/O, either outboards or straight inboards for me, or possibly ips/zeus down the road.

jimmyL

Reaction score
thanks for the info. Nice site you guys have here, I hope I can contribute once I get my Grady. As far as the boat I'm looking at the only plus side I thought of as an I/O I was an auto mechanic for most of my life. working on this is much easier for me then an outboard. this wouldn't be my first boat as I've owned boats for over 30 yrs. my last was a 33 pacemaker sportfish, just sold it 2 weeks ago. loved it & killed me to sell it. I appreciate all the info you posted. maybe I'll continue my search.
thanks
Jimmy

JeffN

Reaction score
My 83 Kingfish (in '83 that was a sailfish with I/Os) came with twin 170hp 4 cylinder Mercruiser I/Os, model 470. I purchased the boat in '87 and ran those units thru the '06 season. I had minimal problems over the years with those engines and drives. Never replaced a motor or drive. The mercruiser 470 engines did have some idiosyncrascies but all in all were a cheap date over the years. I repowered with a single 496 mercruiser bravo 1 and love the package. I top out around 45 mph and usually cruise around 25 to 28 knots. Plenty for me. I fish from the boat a lot and don't find the engine box to be an issue. I find fishing around the motor box to be easier than dealing with outboards out behind the transom on a bracket or euro transom but it is all probably more about what one is used to as much as anything. I don't have issues docking and my boat is docked in a slip. I say take a seatrial and then seatrial an outboard - then you will figure out which you like better. With your mechanical experience the maint. will be easy and inexpensive on the I/O.