Any Suggestions - looking to replace fish box and anchor box covers on a 1995 208 Adventurer - any help finding would be great - Thank you

Cape Cod Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Any Suggestions where to look - looking to replace fish box and anchor box cover on a 1995 208 Adventurer - any help would be grea - Thank youi

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unlikley you will find them. Even if you did they are probably not in good shape. Ask around for a fiberglass shop that might make on for you.

What's wrong with yours? Short of being "missing" you should refinish them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Either have a glass shop fabricate or make them out of starboard. A good cabinet maker could do the latter quite easily,

billyttpd

Reaction score
i have a 1996 Adventure had the boxes and anchor locker redone once they lasted a few years. Going to redo them with starboard. The cabin hatch I may try to fab something from plexiglass for extra light

seasick

Reaction score
If you are referring to the lids on the two lockers behind the helm seats, a flat sheet of starboard mat not work well . Unlike the aft locker lids which are flat, the forward lids are molded and in order to sit flush with the hinge area, have to be thinner (but with a lip) than starboard would have to be.
Although the old lids may be shot, if you have them, they can be patched up to be used to make molds. If you are handy and adventuresome, you could make molds and then make lids. It is a lot of work and will cost several hundred in supplies but will be less expensive than buying custom fabricated from a shop.
You may also be able to get a better price from a fiberglass fabricator if you have the old lids that they can use to make molds

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you have the hatches as a starting point, you can grind off the chips and cracks and fill with thickened epoxy, fair, sand the whole thing and paint. You may need to add some glass to reinforce some structure. You may have never done that before but you have a 24 year old boat...time to learn...otherwise you are going to pay alot.

Given that its an old boat, you don't need to perfectly match gelcoat and non-skid pattern. Plus, you are probably putting cushions on them so you only see the edges
Because they are separate pieces, you don't have to blend your repair into undamaged areas. Its a good project for learning fiberglass work. Do some research, practice on something small.

Will your work be as good as a Pro? NO, but it will do for a 1999 hull.

Heres an example. This is thickened with High Density filler. It will be sanded then get Low density "fairing" filler and be sanded smooth .

FYI, epoxy doesn't stick to packing tape so use that to your advantage...

265tailgatePrep3.jpeg

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
AwlGrip has a AwlFair epoxy faring compound that is a 1:1 pre-thickened in both a regular and slow set. Easy to mix and use with a putty knife on a board. I used it for all my hardtop edge repairs and other fill areas. Cures overnight into a sandable surface.

SkunkBoat's recommendation above is also a good one. I repaired my bow pulpit that way. It's just more measuring and mixing.

Don't use Bondo or a polyester filler to this type of repair. It will look good for a while but it doesn't have the water seal and adhesive properties of epoxy.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Note that if you use epoxy you won’t be able to gelcoat over it but agree that epoxy will have a significantly stronger bond to the substrate than poly/vinylester resin. Even then the areas being repaired are relatively small and will likely chip again so using the existing to make a mold will be the best bet if your ultimate goal is replacement.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am working on mine now. Since I am painting, I have epoxy coated with the additive for moisture in it to seal all fairing. 2 coats of primer, 2nd one mixed with some of the finish paint. I then will apply a few top coats.
mine were in pretty good shape but for sure the best bet here is to rebuild them or use existing ones to make molds for news. As stated above the starboard is not going to work well here.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Before epoxy fairing is applied AwlFair recommends epoxy priming the old gelcoat and exposed polyester. When dry a light sanding and wipe down before applying fairing.

I'm not an expert but I have heard Holokai's comment about gelcoat over epoxy. If that is what you want to do you need to research it more.