Anybody go from a Marlin 300 to a 330 Express

fischer

Reaction score
Hi all,
My wife and I bought a 2005 Marlin a year ago and have had a lot of great times on it, including a trip to the Keys last May. We were trailering it (75 miles each way!) until October, at which time we got into a dry stack marina in St Pete. That added to our enjoyment more than I can describe and we use the boat nearly every week. We usually stay on board overnight and go out fishing the following morning and this has become our weekly routine. I thought when we went up to the Marlin, that would be it, but we enjoy overnighting so much, we think we really need a little more room and a dedicated berth. I'd love to get into a 36' Express, but I'm not sure I am comfortable spending that kind of money and I'm talking about a used boat here. There seems to be a lot more pre-owned 330 Expresses than 360s for sale and at some fair prices.

So the questions - Has anybody gone from the Marlin to the 330 and if so, do you feel like it was a significant upgrade? Or did you end up wishing you'd gone for the 360 (or 370). Things I like about the 330 are according to the performance numbers on Grady's site, even with 250s, the 330 performs similarly to the Marlin and still gets decent fuel consumption. Are those numbers fairly accurate? It weighs something like 2600 lbs more than the Marlin, so I have to wonder. It only draws a couple more inches and to me, it looks like it would handle a lot more precisely, especially around the docks with the engines spaced farther apart. Opinions? With the extra weight, I'd expect an improved ride - is this right? I like the additional seating in the helm area, for those occasions when the kids and grandkids go along. I sea trialed a center helm World Cat and really liked it, but how is it to live with as far as visibility and maneuvering around the docks? Do you have a hard time seeing the instruments over the electronics console when it's up? In the cabin - is the storage adequate for a week trip and that dinette - it looks like it might be a pretty tight squeeze. Is it really functional or a dinette in name only? Berth roomy enough for a 6' 200 pounder?

Finally, is there anybody in the St Pete/Clearwater area that has a 330 and wouldn't mind showing it off a little?

Thanks!

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fischer

I have a 2002 330 with 225's that I bought 3 1/2 years ago. I came from a 22' Pursuit so I can't comment on the differences between the 300 & 330.

I was concerned about the 225's as far as power issues. Grady customer service sent me performance stats for 225's and 250's - from what I could determine the main difference is 3 mph at top end & possibly up on plane a couple of seconds sooner. I had an opportunity to get a boat that I personally knew, at what I thought was too good a deal to walk away from, so I decided to live with the limitations of the 225's (at the time I wasn't aware of the corrosion issues but it hasn't bit me yet).

I run the boat at 4500 rpm's which in reasonable sea conditions results in 28-30 mph at about 1.2 mpg. I can easily live with this speed especially considering all the creature comforts the boat provides. I have had as many as five (2 adults and 3 teen kids) on the boat for 5 days and found that the cabin is great for two adults for 1-2 weeks but not so good as you increase the number of people. Day trips I have had 6 fishing and it was OK but much better with 3-4.

The storage in the cabin is fine for 2 guys off for a week fishing, but when my wife comes down, the cabin tends to get a bit cramped but she loads up the back of the Suburban with stuff that winds up in the cabin. The differences between the 2001-2011 models seem to be mostly cosmetic. I changed out all of the original electronics except auto-pilot and my boat looks and rides like one 10 years newer - I waited for close to a year to find the boat with the hours, finish and price that I wanted and I have yet to get the feeling that I need more boat.

Lots of luck in whatever you decide. I would offer you a ride but the boat is in the keys not in your area.

Off the Hook

Reaction score
Fischer,

I bought a 2008 33 Express this past summer and came from a 26 center console. My experience with the 33 so far (I have put just over 110 hours on it) is a very favorable one. I have been very impressed with the boat for multiple reasons. When looking, I too, was considering the 36, but had several reservations. The difference in cost is significant and I was not sure if my wife and kids (3) were going to enjoy the boat enough to justify the expense. I fish about 60 miles offshore and wanted something that didn't completely kill the wallet on every fishing trip.

At this point there is a part of me that wishes I had gotten the 36 and there may be a day when I move up. I have heard there is a big difference in the performance between the two, but have never sea trailed the 36 personally.

As to your questions, I can tell you the following:

You will have much more selection in looking for the 33. I was looking for a 2008 or newer. There were some modifications made that year to include a higher windshield and helm ac both of which I really wanted. I spoke with Grady and they explained from 08 to 12 they were only building 36s when they were ordered and paid for bc of the economy so there were not many made. Far more people were buying the 33.

Performance numbers - the numbers on Grady's site are close. I had to bottom paint my boat which took away some speed/economy but not too much. I usually cruise at 4500 rpm and depending on the load and conditions I am getting 28kts to 31kts with .8 - 1.0 miles/gallon. 4800 rpm the burn is still the same, but i am going 33 -34kts.

Maneuverability - The engines being far apart are a big plus, but that AND the bow thruster make docking even in tight places a breeze.

Seating in the helm area - this is one of the biggest differences to me in the 36. the 33 can be cramped at times and walking between the seats on either the port or starboard and the helm chair is tight. I have to turn sideways to make it through. I have had as many as 5 of us sitting in the helm area and while somewhat crowded everyone was comfortable

Center Helm - LOVE IT. I personally think you can see your surroundings very well and find it very comfortable to drive from there.

Seeing the instrument while the electronics console is up - Not a problem at all. I had to chuckle when i saw this b/c that is EXACTLY what i thought when i say that design. However when you sit in the Helm seat, you will have clear line of sight to the gauges. Reaching them to switch the mode on them is quite a reach, but certainly not impossible.

Cabin Size - My wife, three kids (14,12, 9) have stayed in the boat several times already with the longest trip being 3 nights. While certainly not the largest living quarters we really didn't have too many issues and found it to be more comfortable than expected. Side note - when buying the boat my wife thought she would not sleep in it and would instead opt for a hotel room, but that has yet to happen...

Dinette space - yes it is small. If it were just my wife and I we could probably manage a meal there, but would be a little crowded. The 36 dinette is much larger

Storage - I wish there were more storage with easier access. The forward berth has storage under it,but you have to lift up the cushions and a board to get to it. there is storage user the dinette cushions and the aft berth, but you have to lift up cushions and hatches to get to it as well.

Berth room - My wife and I sleep on the forward berth without a problem. I am 5' 11" 215.

I hope this information helps you. Like I said earlier, I really have been enjoying this boat and overall i think it was the best choice i could have made.

fischer

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the excellent feedback. I'm impressed with the performance of both of your boats. Off The Hook - what engines do you have?

Thanks again!

Off the Hook

Reaction score
That's correct, I have twin 350s. BTW, if I were to go with the 36, I personally think the triple 300s is the way to go...

HMBJack

Reaction score
I own a 2006 330 and have friends with 30 footers (one has a Marlin and another has a 305 Express).
The wider beam on the 330 is noticeable but you pay for that with a little less speed and fuel economy - a fair trade in my opinion. The wider beam on the 330 delivers a more comfortable cabin and bunk space. I have not seen a 360 in person and frankly am not interested as I can only afford to feed a pair of F250's (not 3 F250's and not 2 V8's). I very happy with the 12 cylinders that I have now.

I do recommend the 330 strongly over the 30 footers unless - and this is important - unless you have a need to regularly trailer the boat somewhere. The 330 is a beast out of the water while the 30 footers CAN be moved around without TOO much difficulty. Which ever boat you pursue, as stated, try and get one with a bow thruster - you won't regret it! I;m also a big fan of the diesel genset found on the 2005+ models. The gas genset had a few issues (?) and I think this is why GW went to the Fischer Panda diesel for their gensets.

Good luck in your search. Fuel prices just might stay down (for a while). Cheers,

fischer

Reaction score
Great feedback, HMBJack. I like that you have friends with 30' Gradys for direct comparison. I have trailered my Marlin and it's about as much boat as I care to pull down the road. So, I'm not even considering trailering the 330. I keep the boat at Loggerhead marina in St Pete and one of the tenants has had his Grady 330 tied up at the overnight docks for at least the last few days. We've been admiring it from dockside but I'd sure love to have a chance to look on board - in case anybody knows who owns it!

By the way, we have the Fischer Panda generator and it has it's own set of issues. Keeping it running is a challenge...

jip40 - we'll be running down to Big Pine Key in May or June.

Thanks again!

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fischer

My boat is at the north end of the 7 mile bridge & Big Pine is at the south end of the bridge. If you are still looking to "sea trial" a 330 at that time give me a shout & if we are down there you got a ride

Off the Hook

Reaction score
Fischer,

If you are ever in Jacksonville, FL let me know, I would be happy let you take a look at the boat.