Anybody gotten the new Raymarine S1000 Auto pilot?

Bama96

Reaction score
Seems to be a simple system and works well for boats under 25'. I got spoiled by the Autopilot on my Marlin and would like to put one on the Tournament 225. Loved it when we were trolling for Kings. I assume this would work for a single engine application? Watched the install video and think I can do it myself. Opinions?

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail. ... ODUCT=3011

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I installed this on my 265 last season -
works great - easy install - no problems what so ever-
Highly recommend it!
You should be aware that it does require a NEMA signal from a GPS -
Tim

Bama96

Reaction score
I assume it will work with the Raymrine A70D on the Sea Talk but would a Garmin 498 also be NEMA compatible? That way I could have them both hooked up?

Bama96

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
You cannot connect both GPSs. Only one to be connected. I would connect the one with WASS signal, more accurate.

NEM here is the description of the unit I was thinking of getting.

A70D 6.4" Chartplotter/Fishfinder (no preloaded charts)
6.4" Chartplotter/Fishfinder with VGA display, built-in WAAS compatible GPS, and HD Digital fishfinder. Charts not included.

I guess that is what you were referring to. WAAS. I assume this will work and be the most accurate? Thanks.

catch22

Reaction score
I've installed a couple of these, and yes... they work great. Holds course very well, even in rough conditions. Also has many trolling patterns, in different sizes.

The s1000 uses gps course over ground, (cog) info from either Raymarine's "Seatalk" or any nmea 0183, (which most gps units provide). There's no rudder reference unit and no flux gate compass, (like other ap's) which makes the install a lot simpler. A course computer, (control box) the pump and the remote... that's it.

One thing that really impressed me was, they provide everything to do the install... wrenches, drill bits, wire ties, fluid, you name it.

I don't know about other brands of hydraulic steering, but with Teleflex/Seastar, it's a piece of cake. The pump lines simply get "T'd" onto the helm. Just swap out the existing fittings with the provided "T" fittings.

One draw back is, the supplied pump lines are only about 2 feet long, so you have to mount the pump close to the helm. I guess if you had to, you could go to a hydraulic shop and have longer hoses fabricated, or added-on. The pump also has to be mounted below, (lower) the helm.

Another is the power button they provide. If you do any web searching about the s1000, your sure to find people complaining about it, and rightly so... it's big and it's ugly! It's been referred to as the "ronald mcdonald" switch, lol. Just use any on-board switch that's rated for about 10 amps, or install a separate one that's easy to get at in case you need to do a quick, emergency shut-down.

I have seen some minor "quirks"... one is.... sometimes the boat will over-shoot it's turn, when you "track" to a way-point. It only happens on the initial start, after that it holds course fine and makes smooth, minor adjustments. It also depends on the direction of the turn. If say, the way-point is 45 degrees to the right, it will over-shoot... if it's 45 degrees to the left, it won't. Imo, it may have something to do with how well your steering is "balanced". By that, I mean how much torque, (at the wheel). If it's easier to steer in one direction, than the other, the ap will sometimes turn faster and more aggressively in the "easier" direction. So, the more balanced your steering is, the smoother the s1000 will perform.

Also... basic "Pilot" mode simply holds your existing heading, (no way-point). Works well, from what I've seen. No aggressive or violent turns involved... but they recommend you hold course for at least 10 seconds before activating pilot mode. That way, your gps has a better "cog".

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I only use the "Pilot Mode" that holds a course - maybe I will try way points this season-
Big E-stop did not get installed on my boat, I used a more stylish switch that also light up when on - that way I would be sure to shut it off-

It works fine with the twins - no problem what so ever -

I did a TON of research and talked with other owners who had them on twins - nobody had anything bad to say -

Tim

Bama96

Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me about this unit is the GPS signal. I was planning on pairing it with a Raymarine A70D unit. It has the internal GPS antenna. I was going to mount it inside the electronics box. I hope it can pickup the signal in the box with that internal antenna. I have the Garmin 498 in he box as well but it has an external antenna. I wanted to avoid having to install another antenna.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Bama

When I installed a Garmin 545s on my old boat, Garmin instructed me that it would NOT pick up the signal if I mounted an internal antenna unit in the electronics box.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks. I did see where it said it would get a signal through a hard top. I guess I can install and then add the GPS remote antenna if the internal won't pick up.

Bama96

Reaction score
NEM that 498 is that good of a chartplotter? Heck maybe I ought to just forget the A70D and put just a fish finder in there. I sure like the Furuno fcv 620. Run the auto pilot to the 498 Garmin and have the seperate bottom machine. I do have a backup hand held Garmin GPS Map74.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If that's the case, you'll be happier with the fcv620, great bottom machine.
The 498 i think is a great GPS, i don't know why they discontinued it. Theonly "bad" thing about this GPS is the resolution, but to get a machine with decent resolution you have to spend around 1000 bucks. If it was me i would keep the 498 and get the fcv620 for fishfinder.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Not to derail - but the furono mention above is fantastic -
I connected my autopilot to my back up Garmin 182 - I have the FCV620 and a northstar as my main electronics- works well for me!
Tim

Bama96

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
If that's the case, you'll be happier with the fcv620, great bottom machine.
The 498 i think is a great GPS, i don't know why they discontinued it. Theonly "bad" thing about this GPS is the resolution, but to get a machine with decent resolution you have to spend around 1000 bucks. If it was me i would keep the 498 and get the fcv620 for fishfinder.

Guys I got the Furuno fcv 620, Raymarine S1000 auto pilot, and ICOM 422 VHF. Will the Garmin 498 be able to handle all of this via the NMEA 0183 connections? I want to hook them all up to the 498 until I can get the new 740 Garmin touch screen. Sorry for all the questions I am just new to all this networking stuff.

catch22

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Guys I got the Furuno fcv 620, Raymarine S1000 auto pilot, and ICOM 422 VHF. Will the Garmin 498 be able to handle all of this via the NMEA 0183 connections? I want to hook them all up to the 498 until I can get the new 740 Garmin touch screen. Sorry for all the questions I am just new to all this networking stuff.

A few years back I asked one of Garmin's service techs about this. Basically, he said Garmin units could support up to 3 nmea 0183 devices. I actually ended up connecting 4 - vhf/dsc, radar, ff and autopilot... and it worked fine.

Just for the heck of it, I did a "faq" search on Garmin's support page...

Question: How many devices can I connect to each comm port?

Answer: Each comm port can have a total of 3 NMEA 0183 compatible devices connected to it at one time.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score