Anyone added a trolling motor (salt water) to Fisherman (216)?

SES

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
We would like to add a trolling motor to our Fisherman 216. Wondering whether it is more trouble than it’s worth. The mechanics are pricing out a MinnKota (not sure of model yet) to be installed on a metal plate next to anchor compartment and and recommending 3 batteries to be located in tiny cabin. Need to move navigation lights and cleat. Anchor lines could be impacted by motor’s metal plate. We have a Garmin Chartplotter which would NOT tie into MinnKota. Not sure whether this matters. Bottom line, it may run $6K -$7K when all said and done. Wondering whether others have photos or suggestion. Please point me the right direction if this has been covered.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have a rodan 96 on my 307. It’s awesome. HIGHLY recommend lithium. Especially in a 21’boat. You’ll save about 100 lbs. I paid about $8k installed.

SES

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have a rodan 96 on my 307. It’s awesome. HIGHLY recommend lithium. Especially in a 21’boat. You’ll save about 100 lbs. I paid about $8k installed.
Thank you for the information. I read up on the Rodan96. I like the various modes. Since installation pricey, I need to make sure the trolling motor is capable and high quality like yours. Mechanic talked about battery - I remember him saying lithium was an option. He mention something even more expensive saying whatever it was would last longer and was a “closed” system …. I’ll ask him again. Again, thank you for the help! I really appreciate it

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
You won’t need one that long. Mine has 120lbs of thrust. You will not need that much. My set up came with a charger that would charge off the motors. And it would charge when plugged in to shore power.
The lithium batters will need a separate charger than your current onboard charger(if you have one).
They are more expensive but much lighter and have considerable more usable power than flooded or AGM of the same size. Mine is 36V but you may only need a 24V. The Rodans aren’t yet compatible with MFD’s. But I’ve never felt like I needed it. Most use mine for bottom fishing in deep water. Used it this summer about 100 yards off a reef in the Abacos. There was pretty big ground swell coming in breaking on the reef. I marked the spot on the GPS and it keep us right on the spot.
My wife actually said this was one of the best things we’ve put on the boat.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Your deck mounting will probably need some kind of plate. Mine is about a 2in thick piece of starboard fitted to my deck. It hangs over the side a couple inches so the shaft clears the rub rail.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I do not see why Grady does not make a factory option to pre-rig trolling motors on the Fisherman series. I have a 236 and would absolutely love a GPS trolling motor.

Why won't Grady offer this as a package on new models? They do on the 251 CE. Don't say, "well they have the full manuverability package now" since that is more expensive for less capabaility than a trolling motor. I do a lot of bay fishing and shut off my motor when fishing in 6ft deep water. On the rare times i fish offshore, i would never considering anchoring over a wreck to hold position and risk loosing $1k worth of anchor, chain, and rope on the wreck.

GPS trolling motors are hot right now and Grady needs to get on the bandwaggon of making more models pre-rigged to accomodate trolling motors.

Manny Fish

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
Hey guys I have a Fisherman 216 and am trying to bow - mount a MinnKota. I am struggling to find a way back through to the helm to connect the power (battery is in the c/console). Keen to bow mount a second screen also so a few wires need to get back from the bow.

Any advice would be appreciated

Mwcarter41

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Hey guys I have a Fisherman 216 and am trying to bow - mount a MinnKota. I am struggling to find a way back through to the helm to connect the power (battery is in the c/console). Keen to bow mount a second screen also so a few wires need to get back from the bow.

Any advice would be appreciated
I'm looking to add a Minn Kota to my Fisherman 236. If your boat is setup the same way, I ran a wire down the starboard side from anchor locker to the console. If you open the hatch, run a fish tape down the starboard side, (remove the speaker to help with a midpoint if needed) then cut across to the console where there is a hole with a drain line going thru putting you into battery area. You can go from there once you decide on battery placement. Hope this helps

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Mwcarter41, can you please provide me some more details? PM me if you want. I also have a 236 and are specifically interested in your wire routing and battery placement.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I recommend calling or emailing Grady customer service. They have been very helpful to me. I upgraded my standard stereo and needed the location of the rigging tubes and wiring. They sent me this which was a huge help in running new power cables and speaker wires

Mwcarter41

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Mwcarter41, can you please provide me some more details? PM me if you want. I also have a 236 and are specifically interested in your wire routing and battery placement.
Pm sent.

Manny Fish

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
Yes I did this the same way on my 216. I put a lithium battery in the console where the head usually sits. I mounted the motor on a plate on the nose. The only problem I have yet to solve is that the Nav lights have to move. I have not figured out where to put them. I have used the hole in the hull on which the Nav lights sit to run the MinnKota power cable so it is not running through the anchor locker. Will share pics - happy to help if you have any questions.

Mwcarter41

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Yes I did this the same way on my 216. I put a lithium battery in the console where the head usually sits. I mounted the motor on a plate on the nose. The only problem I have yet to solve is that the Nav lights have to move. I have not figured out where to put them. I have used the hole in the hull on which the Nav lights sit to run the MinnKota power cable so it is not running through the anchor locker. Will share pics - happy to help if you have any questions.
Pics would be great. How motor sits, bracket, plug, battery, battery charger, etc…whole sha bang please. Thanks