Anyone ever 'beach' their GW?

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a 2004 (from a member here). I have two little ones (3 & 5) and we like to goto sandbars for the day (florida east coast).

Question, do you beach your larger GW on sand?

The bottom is ablative, so I am a little concerned over doing it, but it sure would add family fun. My current ride is a 33' with straight shafts, so beaching is not an option for us atm.

Thanks-

Reactions: Evan B

jehines3

Reaction score
I do, but use a stern anchor and check GPS tide tables and only on a rising tide and when I can leave before a falling tide, etc....

I much prefer the use of a stern anchor and bow anchor holding the boat in a solid 1' under the keel. Wading in 2-3 feet of water is just part of it for me. This summer we our youngest will be 6 months, so I'm sure I will be pressured into a beach here or there. jh

GT

Reaction score
Every weekend of the summer and fall I drop anchor 92 actually) in 1 to 3 feet of water. Its not technically 'beached', but since I leave it anchored 2-3 days at a time it seems safer to keep water under the hull.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GT said:
Every weekend of the summer and fall I drop anchor 92 actually) in 1 to 3 feet of water. Its not technically 'beached', but since I leave it anchored 2-3 days at a time it seems safer to keep water under the hull.

GT- doin some island campin?

Brad1

Reaction score
I have seem boats that were routinely beached in sand and the gel coat has worn off in the keel where it rests in the sand. I'd expect that to happen if you beached it enough times.

I don't beach my Grady. But I would install a keel guard / shield if I were going to plan to start doing so.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brad1 said:
I have seem boats that were routinely beached in sand and the gel coat has worn off in the keel where it rests in the sand. I'd expect that to happen if you beached it enough times.

I don't beach my Grady. But I would install a keel guard / shield if I were going to plan to start doing so.

X2
Keelguard - YES!

I've only beached a couple of times in a lake, and it does wear pretty fast on the keel and stem. If we end up doing may trips to the lake this year a keelguard will be installed. They're kinda' spendy but well worth it. If you have bottom paint you'll probably have to remove it to stick on the keelguard.

Shallow anchoring also works, one of those stretchy anchor lines works great for pulling the boat in to the beach, then it retracts back out to knee-deep water. You can even stern-in with this arrangement and use your boarding ladder on the swimstep.

It happens that my sig-pic was taken on Mojave Lake, stern-in anchored in mid-calf deep water, the keel/transom was in the mud. It was a quiet little cove with high rock walls, well out of the wind that day. It was blowing pretty good out on the lake. We were there in March last year, sipping beer and listening to tunes 8) There were about 6 other boats lined up with us in there.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I frequently bring my boat into shallow water for day trips to the beach with the family. I may beach it for 30 min. to unload then I use the two anchor method to moor the boat in 1-3 feet of water with a 2 knot + current. Never any problems. My bottom paint is intact. I would not leave the boat on the beach for long where I am due to the tide change and current.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I beach her all summer long only after I installed a keelguard. :D Three years now and the keelguard looks like the day I put it on.

flyboy911

Reaction score
Been doing this for years here in Palm Beach. Back the stern to the sandbar and deploy 2 anchors. Bow & stern. Keep the boat in just enough water to float and stay off the bottom. Raise the engines and have a nice day. As the tide changes just release some stern anchor line and float out to deeper water. Good luck...that is good family time with kids!!

IMG_2613_1.jpg

IMG_2616_1.jpg

flyboy911

Reaction score
No it is not Peanut Island. It is just North of the Jupiter Inlet at the base of the Jupiter Lighthouse. Nice clean water. Peanut Island gets to crazy on the weekends!