Anyone have a cockpit mounted Fish Finder?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm considering mounting my old Garmin Striker in the cockpit for bottom fish and salmon. It's not really necessary but I have it anyway and sometimes the helm chair/glare/driver obstructs the helm mounted 7" unit. Anyone do it on their Grady?

1616177633618.png
Maybe here on my boat.

Or maybe on a fillet table I build like this:
1616177678943.png
I'm sure you'll all chime in on the errors of my plan :)

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Saw this on Garmins site....

Assume there is a newer version of their app...

View and Control Your Device From a Smartphone or Tablet
Garmin Helm™ allows you to view and control your compatible Garmin chartplotter from an iPhone® or iPad® or phone, or phone or tablet using Android™ — while providing enhanced situational awareness for the mariner. Easily switch between portrait and landscape mode to accommodate mounting preferences. Using your iPhone or iPad, you can even record a movie of your chartplotter screen to share with friends and family. Download from the App Store™ or Google Play™ today.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Drifter, I have my devices connected through my MDF so the device or phone mirrors the MFD screen. The only problem I have (they are not new iPhone mini pad etc) is they are difficult to see in sunlight. I am thinking of putting my older replaced Lowrance somewhere away from the helm but have not decided the spot yet. There is not much money in reselling old electronics so would like to use it.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You could try downloading the garmin active captain app on your phone but I don’t know if your 741xs is screen mirroring capable due its age; Echomaps and Strikers are definitely not screen-mirroring capable so you’ll need to be running your sonar off of the 741xs to even have a shot at it working. Garmin made it difficult by only allowing sonar sharing within model lines and I’m not even sure if Strikers can share sonar

At least it’s a free download to try out ActiveCaptain.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks guys. So unfortunaly Garmin updated their Helm app to active captain or vice versa and now it's too new for both my old ipads. Also my 741xs doesn't have a transducer that works (i broke the end off). Only the striker which can't share that I can tell. So I could still run a tablet with Navionics in the back or just run a second transducer and mount my older Striker 5" in the back. Depth is the key factor for the guys running the downriggers in the back. Probably overkill though. Oh well.